Maryland Deathfest

Forum for Seattle Bands, Musicians and Fans. This forum is genre agnostic so all music types are welcome.

Moderators: Chris Slack, Adremelech, Seattle Metal Online, AchimbaProphet, Desert Mermaid

mickey brown-eye

Maryland Deathfest

Post by mickey brown-eye »

I am planning a trip to the Deathfest this year to see Coroner :metalhead and I am wondering if anyone here has ever made the trip and has any advice on where to stay, booking etc. I have been through all of the booking sites I could find already (Priceline etc.) Hopefully myself and 1 other person are going but I may end up on my own.
I am trying to avoid having to give BJs down at the bus depot to afford the trip :D
Chris Slack

Re: Maryland Deathfest

Post by Chris Slack »

I used Priceline for booking last year and Expedia the year before. Not going this year as I have already seen most of the bands I would want to see so it's not worth the money for me. Should be a ton of fun for you though :)

in 2009 we stayed at the Tremont Plaza which was rad and cheap, however the prices jumped enormously last year (possibly due to the NCAA lacrosse tournament which was in Baltimore the same weekend) which forced us to stay at the Lord Baltimore Radisson. It wasn't too bad.

For non-fest stuff there are tons of great restaurants int he area and some cool museums and such. You can check out my 2009 and 2010 reviews for specifics on that kind of crap.

Their official forum is here and while the people can be dicks they are pretty helpful
mickey brown-eye

Thanks!
Priceline and Travelocity seem to have the best deals so far. I noticed most the hotels near the venue are pretty expensive (and a few seem to be booked solid already!) It is Memorial weekend though. Probably a lot going on.
I read your reports. We will have to seek out Poe's house/grave. That is pretty cool! I noticed from your pics that previous years looked like outdoor venues, but this year is at a place called Club Sonar and all the pics I could find were indoors, also it holds less that 2,000 people between 2 rooms total according to their website. Were the years you went roughly the same size places?
I imagined it to be bigger
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

mickey brown-eye wrote:I noticed from your pics that previous years looked like outdoor venues, but this year is at a place called Club Sonar and all the pics I could find were indoors, also it holds less that 2,000 people between 2 rooms total according to their website. Were the years you went roughly the same size places?
Actually it's at the same venue this year. They close off the street in front of it, fence it in and build two outdoor stages which they use in addition to the indoor stage. There will be a lot of people there :)
mickey brown-eye

Chris Slack wrote:
mickey brown-eye wrote:I noticed from your pics that previous years looked like outdoor venues, but this year is at a place called Club Sonar and all the pics I could find were indoors, also it holds less that 2,000 people between 2 rooms total according to their website. Were the years you went roughly the same size places?
Actually it's at the same venue this year. They close off the street in front of it, fence it in and build two outdoor stages which they use in addition to the indoor stage. There will be a lot of people there :)
That is bad-ass!!!
mickey brown-eye

Do they let you bring in booze from outside? Your reports sounded like maybe they do
:D
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

mickey brown-eye wrote:Do they let you bring in booze from outside? Your reports sounded like maybe they do
Not at all, however they don't use metal detectors. I just crotch a flask, drink it, then head back to the hotel to refill during a space there are no bands i want to see. Just use common sense when hitting it and all is cool. Lots of other questionable activities going on there as well. A couple of guys were smoking a joint near to me and one of the security guys saw them doing it. He told them to put it out but didn't take it from them or kick them out or anything.

Bonus: If you have ever seen the series "The Wire" on HBO you will recognize a few drug corners a couple of blocks from the venue, City Hall is right around the corner as well. There are some REALLY shitty areas nearby that you probably don't want to hit by yourself at night so keep your eyes open.
mickey brown-eye

Chris Slack wrote:
mickey brown-eye wrote:Do they let you bring in booze from outside? Your reports sounded like maybe they do
Not at all, however they don't use metal detectors. I just crotch a flask, drink it, then head back to the hotel to refill during a space there are no bands i want to see. Just use common sense when hitting it and all is cool. Lots of other questionable activities going on there as well. A couple of guys were smoking a joint near to me and one of the security guys saw them doing it. He told them to put it out but didn't take it from them or kick them out or anything.

Bonus: If you have ever seen the series "The Wire" on HBO you will recognize a few drug corners a couple of blocks from the venue, City Hall is right around the corner as well. There are some REALLY shitty areas nearby that you probably don't want to hit by yourself at night so keep your eyes open.
Cool! Thanks again for all the info!