darkness falls - fact or fiction?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
kipper

darkness falls - fact or fiction?

Post by kipper »

The DVD of Darkness Falls has a featurette outlining the 'true story' behind the movie. It discusses the life, and untimely death of Matilda Dixon. Matilda, a resident of Port Fairy in Australia, was the local tooth fairy - giving gifts to children who lost their teeth. The story parallels that of the movie... she lost her husband to a ship wreck, was horribly burnt in a fire, wore a mask to cover her disfigurement and ended up being hung for the 'disappearance' of a couple of children, who turned up alive and well. The 'documentary' also discussed a monument built in her name.

Now here's the thing. I've been to Port Fairy, and I visited a number of the historical spots there, including the 'shipwreck walk'. However, it was quite sometime ago that I was last there. After I watched the documentary, I was absolutely convinced that I had heard Matilda Dixon's story. Even during the film I had flashes of 'I know this story' (no need to point out that I'd seen most of it in other films).

Now I'm not so sure. Call me suggestible, 'cause I can find nothing that backs up my memory of Matilda Dixon's story. You'd think the Port Fairy Historical Society would mention her, or at the very least her monument, but nothing.

So... I think it's a Fargo... anyone have any verification as to the truth of this story?
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I don't know for certain, but I'd read somewhere that it was based on a local legend somewhere. I didn't know the specifics, so what you listed from the DVD is probably true.