The Eye has it...

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

The Eye has it...

Post by Remo D » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:08 pm

Nice to see an Asian horror flick actually hit the big screen around here... odds are most of you have seen this already one way or another, but there's something to be said for the way this one uses the sound and plays with the fact that it's ON a theatre screen...

...specifically, since I saw this at a theatre that's notorious for films breaking down and melting off the projector, and especially since the three trailers that preceded the film suffered from bad sound, I was ready to blow my top when the title card seemed to jam and melt! But something didn't seem right--and sure enough, the image was soon supplanted by an English-language screen warning "SIT TIGHT--!"

Okay, I'm off balance.

THE EYE ultimately becomes conventional, but it still works in the long run. Corneal transplant results in hallucinations--or are they? Unmistakable riff on THE SIXTH SENSE goes without saying. You may remember BLINK from a few years back, as well? And there's even an echo of MOTHMAN in there, like it or not... and like that film (but not nearly as horrendously), this one goes on a bit too long and puts things off for a huge, noisy finale (still, it's effective and nasty as hell) when something a bit more subtle might have worked wonders.

There are jolts, all right ("Why are you sitting in my chair?"), and while there's no buildup to a SIXTH SENSE sort of surprise ending that most people could guess early, there IS one hell of a surprise that I did NOT see coming at a crucial point.

You know, this is the sort of thing I'd just love to give a "perfect in every way" rave and drive you all out to see... the truth is that it doesn't quite hit that peak. But THE EYE is still very much worth seeing and happily recommended.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:17 am

Yeah... what Remo said!

:)