Jeepers Creepers 2--I've never lied to you, have I?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

Jeepers Creepers 2--I've never lied to you, have I?

Post by Remo D » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:28 pm

DISCLAIMER: For anyone who's been here less than a year or so, yes, I know who the director is, what he did, etc. And I honestly have no interest in getting into it--true, I have a young son of my own, but on the other hand, I'm just looking at a movie, not screening a prospective babysitter. And I don't think I'm taking any moral, political or social stand by either choosing to see this movie or choosing not to see it. From this point on, I'm only going to talk about the MOVIE.

The original JEEPERS CREEPERS didn't hold together as a completely satisfying film for me--but I acknowledged that it certainly contained some of the most effective individual horror SCENES that I'd come across in recent years--my particular favorite involved a visit to Eileen Brennan and the uncertainty over whether the scarecrow in the background was what it appeared to be...

Well, they do the scarecrow gag again at the beginning of this sequel, but of course, everybody sees it coming now. And we've got a (to put it generously) less-than-inspired premise here... a busload of high school students gets waylaid by the Creeper, who intends to pick them off, one at a time. I expected to wind up bored as hell and hating the movie.

Still, it's always nice for an original TWIN PEAKS fan to see Ray Wise on screen--and the movie does get off to a decent start--a couple of jumps and some successfully sought-after nervous laughter ("She... she flew away!").

Of course, the more you see of the Creeper, the less scary it gets--and yep, it isn't long before we hit the point where you can predict each and every jump. The first few work--the rest simply don't. BUT... luckily there's something else to occupy our attention then--the effects parade is extremely grisly and quite amusing (there's a surprisingly bloodless decapitation bit, but it certainly provokes a reaction). There's some computer stuff, but there's plenty of good old-fashioned on-set work, too.

And when THAT runs out, there's still some nifty action, and even the ending works pretty well.

"Homoerotic subtext?" Yeah, well, the guys often appear shirtless, and they stand together to piss, and there's one character who MIGHT be gay and gets needled for it. And the cheerleaders keep their clothes on. Feh. It's not a turn-on for me, but it doesn't bother me that it's there, either. When a script is kept on cruise-control to this extent, you're bound to look for "subtext" to justify it at all. Too easy.

Say what you will about the man behind it all--he CAN be effective in the horror field. Even the notorious CLOWNHOUSE had a rather decent reputation before the story behind it came to light. And while JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 will forever be a victim of its own generic, by-the-numbers existence, the truth of the matter is that I wasn't bored by it for a minute--I found it far more entertaining than WRONG TURN, for example, despite the moments that it had and the fan contingent that loyally sticks up for it.

Your move.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

I am 138

Post by I am 138 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:11 pm

I won't be seeing it (at least won't PAY to see it) for the reasons you alluded to, but I do acknowledge that Salva has some directing skill. My big problem with the first Jeepers was that The Creeper seemed so much cooler all cloaked and in the background than as a gargoyle vampire thing.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]