DVD Scores

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
ROBERT

DVD Scores

Post by ROBERT »

I attended a Chain Bankruptcy Today,since I had a RARE day off.Too bad these small DVD companies won't see a dime.I had the foresight to put a few choice discs on reserve a week ago,in anticipation.Marked down and 30% off!

Demons 1-2
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Deadbeat at Dawn
Vampyros Lesbos
Shiver of the Vampires seperate purhase used
Living Dead Girl Uncut
Lips of Blood
Exorcism (New Franco,disc!)
Phenomena
I think it's prety good haul. Post you're opinions.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

That's some good shit. And was it a bigger chain or more of a local indie one? We only have one local video store within 10 miles of us now. That sucks. Stupid Blockbuster...

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

That was an awesome score Robert. Here are my remarks on a few of your picks:

TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE - haven't seen the DVD of this yet, but I loved this film when I saw it on video years ago. An atmospheric murder mystery by Mario Bava. Some of the graphic murder scenes were lifted from this movie and used in FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2. Only this film is a lot better.

DEADBEAT AT DAWN - a really cool film and a great disc by Synapse with tons of cool extras. Too bad Van Bebber wasn't happy with the disc Image

VAMPYROS LESBOS - another wonderful disc by Synapse. While light on extras, at least the transfer is better than those crappy bootlegs we've been watching all these years. Still, this disc is the best way to see Franco's classic.

EXORCISM - I'm still trying to find this one. My local Best Buy stocks a lot of Synapse titles (including VAMPYROS LESBOS), but something tells me they might not carry this one. Unless I find it someplace else, I might have to order it online.

PHENOMENA - One of my favorite Argento films. Disc is uncut and has a beautiful transfer. The extras are pretty decent, but the movie itself is enough reason to own this DVD.

Aside from LIVING DEAD GIRL (which was fairly decent), I haven't seen any of the Rollin films you mentioned. I haven't seen the DVDs either (and probably never will for that matter). I posted my thoughts on Rollin earlier, so I'm not getting into that debate again Image

Hope this helps.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

It was a large chain of Music,Video stores,138. At 9:00 am, there was a line around the fucking block. I missed out on two DVDs because I wasn't fast enough. A woman called Sada Abe and She kills in Ecstasy. Oh well,there's always another chance. Yeah, the crop listed, was pretty choice,Chuck.

Now the bad news,Synapse's Exorcism disc, has a compression problem, which results in a moire(ghosting) effect.It's an interlace sourced disc, and my DVD player is a progressive(frame Based)model. I've managed to correct it by using a different video filter in the player's menu, and adjusting the sharpness controls on my TV.Still it's bound to cause problems with other people's players. The film itself(on the disc) has a timing exposure problem. During midscene, they'll be a variation in lighting/colour.This probably because this print was culled from more than two sources. Still you'd think Synapse could score a decent Telecine to correct much of the timing problems. Too bad. The extras, like the Franco commentary,and interview are good.Although,Franco has a thick accent. Synapse's transfer of Vampyros Lesbos,from a UK print source, is very good. Short on extras and could've used a soundtrack cd, of the score.But it's better,(so is the film) than I expected.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
T.Luster

Post by T.Luster »

Dr.Peligro at Horrorspeak?

Interesting....
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

what a haul!

not too many places around here carry that sort of stuff so I'm envious.

Twitch of the Death nerve is cool stuff! I have an old VHS of Bay of Blood (I'm thinking of the same movie, right?) and I love it.

It blows my mind that anyone would be carrying Deadbeat at Dawn. I thought it was out of print and it's such an obscurity that I'm surprised a store was carrying it. Bagged this disc earlier this year and love it. Such a great movie. Van Bebber can shit in a hat. That movie is as good as it's going to look!
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

"Synapse's Exorcism disc, has a compression problem, which results in a moire(ghosting) effect.It's an interlace sourced disc, and my DVD player is a progressive(frame Based)model. I've managed to correct it by using a different video filter in the player's menu, and adjusting the sharpness controls on my TV.Still it's bound to cause problems with other people's players. The film itself(on the disc) has a timing exposure problem. During midscene, they'll be a variation in lighting/colour.This probably because this print was culled from more than two sources. Still you'd think Synapse could score a decent Telecine to correct much of the timing problems."

It's posts like this that remind me how little I know compared to you guys! I probably wouldn't even notice the problem, much less diagnose it and fix it! Image

------------------
Forget ALL unhappiness and pressure. Let us X'mas first!!!!!! Thanks God's leading in whole year!!!!! -eBay seller
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Terry, I'm NOT Peligro. I'm ROB at Horrorspeak. Besides I didn't see Peligro mention this. Unless, he has the disc or copied the info from here. Some people have done that,with a couple of my posts.I'd be a little annoyed, but glad the info is out there.Dylan,college is actually good for something.Just not enough. Interestingly a couple other video stores around here, carry copies of Deadbeat At Dawn. A few of them rent the disc as well.

Asia Argento