Haute Tension,AKA Switchblade Romance

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
ROBERT

Haute Tension,AKA Switchblade Romance

Post by ROBERT » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:02 pm

Here's another Toronto film festival entry. A gory horror slasher film from France. A young woman named Marie accompanies her friend Alex to her family's remote house in the French countryside. When a murderous trucker arrives later that night,and begins butchering Marie's parents and brother, Alex somehow eludes his attention, giving her an edge in the gruesome battle that ensues over the fate of Marie. Whom the Trucker(played by the imposing butcher in I Stand Alone) chains up, and kidnapps. The rest of the film involves Alex's pursuit of the trucker, who drives a vehcle VERY similar to the Creeper's truck in Jeepers Creepers.

Some of the gore including a splashy decapitation by bookshelf unit strains credibility as much as the final act surprise revelation does. But the blood flows quite dark red and is usually gushing with as much enthusiasm as this fan inspired slasher. A solid first genre effort by director Alexandre Aja, with taut direction, editing and cinematography. The ending which incorporates a sapphic(look it up genius) twist, not unsimilar to a female version of Hitchcock's Psycho, may disappoint some, and may enrage militant gay audiences.(but who cares?) But it's previous 80 minutes, makes this ride worth taking, regardless of final response.

The short Q+A, after the screening with director Aja, and the screenwriter was surprisingly non eventful. As were the questions non confrontational. I was half expecting some Politically Correct minded idiot to make a comment about the ending. But it never happened. People were interested in the final revelation but I can't reveal questions and answers unless I post detailed spoilers. The stupidest question which one older woman with a nasel drawl asked was what they're parents thought of the movie, and if they're invited back to visit. Aja, said his mother saw it, and liked it. The film has worldwide distribution through director Luc Besson's Europa Pictures. So it will attain distribution on DVD in one form or another.....Eventually.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:31 am

Sounds pretty good. France has really been on the ball over the last few years with their horror and action movies. I have a growing list of French genre flicks that I want to check out.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]

ROBERT

Post by ROBERT » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:13 am

Some late breaking news on this film:

After seeing the film at the Toronto Film Festival it was announced today that Lions Gate has picked up Haute Tension for release in North America, and are planning a release of it in Spring of 2004.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento