At long last... BUBBA HO-TEP

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

At long last... BUBBA HO-TEP

Post by Remo D » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:45 pm

Folks, I just don't know about this one, which FINALLY opened in my area.

Half of me is saying "Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis both did a tremendous job here--very affecting, amusing performances that a lot of personal effort obviously went into. Very amusing idea at the base of the story, too--and it's nice to see that Don Coscarelli got another one out on the big screen."

And half of me is saying something like... "Good GRIEF! You thought HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES was a letdown after all that wait? At least something occasionally HAPPENED in that movie! This thing was built up like the Taj-freakin-Mahal, never mind the Great Pyramid! The idea's nice, but we knew ALL about the premise before we even sat down to watch it! Well-acted? No doubt about it. But would it have KILLED the movie to move just a BIT faster?"

Cute it is. The Second Coming it ain't.

Just my take--even if it's the least popular opinion I ever offered.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:35 am

Finally went this afternoon to see this and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well acted... and found the movie to actually be really touching...

Latte Thunder

Re: At long last... BUBBA HO-TEP

Post by Latte Thunder » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:12 am

Originally posted by Remo D
Cute it is. The Second Coming it ain't.
This was something I was anticipating. Since the movie had such a hard time getting distribution and for the longest time you could only see it at festivals, the horror forums (minus this one) were lit up like christmas with the typical Cult of Campbell slobbering and anticipating as if it was such a gem.

My gut instinct told me that it just couldn't live up to the kind of hype that was building in the fan community. I like Campbell quite a bit and Coscarelli is a director that I enjoy immensely, but I knew I'd have to keep my expectations at a reasonable level in order to watch it with the appropriate eyes. It played down in Boston briefly around Halloween, I think Dylan Dog may have gone to see it but I haven't heard from him in quite some time.

I'm pretty sure that this current state of release is going to be it, so I'm going to have to wait for a DVD. I'd also heard that this was a stepping stone for Coscarelli to secure finances for his final Phantasm movie. I'll tell you what, THAT'S the movie I'm waiting on.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]