2002: Looking Ahead

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Scott

2002: Looking Ahead

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:42 pm

Well since Remo has rehashed 2001, I thought I'd give a glimpse of 2002. Here's some of what I'm looking forward to. I've mainly focused on horror films, but I've thrown in some other good stuff too.

JASON X - I know Friday the 13th may not be too popular around here, but I'm rather interested to see Jason in a different enviornment. Judging from the trailer, it looks like it has potential.

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES - Universal declining to release it still gets my blood boiling. I don't know if it will measure up to the hype, but I'll give Rob Zombie the credit for trying.

RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP - The chick with the dick is back!

THE PANIC ROOM - With Seven's David Fincher at the helm I sure he'll deliver a dark eerie feature.

SLEEPLESS - Can Dario Argento rebound after the dreaded Phantom?

KNIGHTS OF THE QUEST - So how will Pupi Avati handle this one?

BLOOD FEAST 2 - H.G. Lewis returns.

Also looking forward to
STAR WARS - EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES (lousy subtitle, sounds like a 1950s B-monster movie)
LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
SIGNS
THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES
ROLLERBALL
THE SCORPION KING

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:37 pm

Pretty nice list Scott. As most people can probably guess, STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES is right at the top of my must-see list for this year along with SPIDER MAN and THE TWO TOWERS.

I might see JASON X or I might wait til video. The problem is that New Line has constantly delayed the release several times, so it looks like this one might be heading for straight-to-video hell. Same with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES (which doesn't hold a whole lot of interest to me). But I do want to see PANIC ROOM and BLOOD FEAST 2. I am also looking forward to SIGNS after being highly impressed by M. Night Shaymalan's UNBREAKABLE. He is definitely a filmmaker worth keeping an eye on.

Haven't seen any of the SLEEPAWAY CAMP films and had no idea another one was on the way Image

SLEEPLESS is already out on video and I've been meaning to rent it, but I refuse to if is a cut version.

I'm avoiding SCORPION KING after being badly burned by MUMMY RETURNS. Besides it doesn't look like it has much potential. I saw the trailer for ROLLERBALL a few weeks ago and it only interested me slightly, so I might wait and see it on video.

Don't know about the other films you mentioned, but I hope 2002 will be a significant improvement over the last two years.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]

I am 138

Post by I am 138 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:25 pm

Originally posted by Darth Tanner:

I am also looking forward to SIGNS after being highly impressed by M. Night Shaymalan's UNBREAKABLE. He is definitely a filmmaker worth keeping an eye on.

I feel like the only person in the world that hates this guy's movies. I used to go to generate interest in local music at Metal Maniacs, and the way I'd get people to open the thread was to title it "The Sixth Sense Is a Retarded Movie." People got all uppity, but it REALLY has some big plot problems.

Unbreakable faired slightly better, but was still kinda lame. I liked the dreariness, but it really lost all interest for me when ol' Brucie started gettin' psychic.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]

T.Luster

Post by T.Luster » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:24 am

I'm looking forward to the next Austin Powers film....Goldmember!

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder » Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:26 am

Looking forward to 2002, I am.

Blade 2 is on the way with Guillermo del Toro at the helm and it looks like it's going to kick ass.

Two Towers rides the top of my list. I know it's not until the end of the year, but I'll be salivating all year until it happens. In my opinion, best book of the trilogy.

Spiderman looks great. I had my doubts for a while but with the new trailer, it renewed my faith.

Star Wars I'll end up seeing regardless of my disgust as of late. It just seems like Lucas makes his movies based on the consultation of a magic 8 ball. My interest has been fading quickly since Phanton Menace but being the fan that I am of the Holy Trilogy... I'll inevitably blow 8 bucks on Attack of the Clones.

Bloodfeast 2. Yes.

Panic Room. I caught the pre-MPAA trailer a little while back and even in it's roughest form, it was very, very cool looking. From what I understand, Fincher shot this one in one location and everything is very confined and claustrophobic. Can't wait to check it out. This guy is one of my favorite directors right now. He's also allegedly working on a CGI adaptation of Rendezvous With Rama, a book I happen to dig a lot.

Jason X. Maybe.

House of 1000 Corpses. All I can say about this one is it better live up to all the hypse surrounding it or there will be some pissed off horror fans. No one's even seen it and people are hailing it as the return to form for exploitation. We'll see. I have my doubts.

Mothman Properties. I hate Richerd Gere. Hate him hate him hate him. But this movie looks pretty cool based on the ads. The entire mythos surrounding the mothman is pretty cool stuff too.

Rollerball. No. Advanced screenings have said this is one train wreck of a movie. A complete disaster. I'll see how it rates when my friends waste their money on it.

Scorpion King. Admittedly, I liked Mummy 2. I even had a thread here singing high praises of it. It's a guilty pleasure. A lot of fun. But I'll tell you what, I don't care to see this movie. The Rock cannot act. And if there's anymore Dreamcast quality CGI, I'll be pissed.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]

I am 138

Post by I am 138 » Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:46 pm

Just watch the original Rollerball.

------------------

David Austin

Post by David Austin » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:36 pm

I agree. Watch the original. Even the studio thinks this one sucks...Why do you think the release has been delayed a year?

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:14 pm

To tell you the truth, I didn't really think too much of the original Rollerball. I found it a little slow moving. As for the remake, I'm rather surprised that it might actually suck considering John McTiernan is directing.

Remo D

Post by Remo D » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:41 pm

I already saw JASON X, thanks to a friend (no, I don't have it on me). A couple of amusing bits, perhaps, but ultimately stupid as hell (and an ALIENS ripoff, to boot).

Why was ROLLERBALL held up? So they could cut the fucker down from an R to a PG-13! Bye-bye gore, bye-bye nudity (from Rebecca Romjin-Stamos, even). I'll buy the Eric Serra CD and hold out for an "R" print from some source or another. Also heard it wasn't that much of a "remake"--just exploitation of a much beloved (by me, anyway) title.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner » Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:00 pm

Remo, you mean to tell me that they cut ROLLERBALL from an R down to a PG-13?!? That really bites Image Didn't they learn anything from BATS, SUPERNOVA and SOUL SURVIVORS? All those movies were cut from R to PG-13 and look how badly they flopped. To be honest, I've never seen the original. But my main interest in seeing this film was Jean Reno and Mrs. Stamos. I'm really mad now that I won't be seeing any of Stamos' charms. Did the studio honestly think they would attract more of the younger crowd just by getting the film a PG-13? From the looks of it, this film will probably go belly-up two weeks after it's release. Unless I can see it for free, I'll just hold out and hope we get the original R-rated version on DVD.

As for JASON X....yeah I agree the concept of Jason in space sounds stupid as hell. I still kind of want to see it though. But seriously, can you say any of the other F13 films were even remotely intelligent? JASON GOES TO HELL was somewhat dumb, but I thought that was one of the more enjoyable ones Image
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]

I am 138

Post by I am 138 » Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:02 pm

I don't like the original Rollerball much, but figure it's gotta be better than the new one.

Jason in space was done on Mad TV years ago. It was Apollo the 13th.

------------------

Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 » Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:22 pm

Chuck, I don't think a fucking NC-17 could have even begun to save BATS.

Allan.

------------------
"Smoosh the fishy on the bready boardie!" - Swedish Chef
"I pitched the WB a show where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was stupid! And that I was stupid too! And let me tell you something. There's nothing stupid about a teenage rabbit teaching good hygiene! NOTHING!" - Space Ghost.