Bad Taste collectors DVD

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Rich

Bad Taste collectors DVD

Post by Rich »

I spotted this at a local Future Shop and was tempted to buy it, it has a hologram like cover along with a bookcase its held in, it looks very cool. I was wondering if anyone on this board might have purchased it or have heard anything about the release (if its a good investment or a bad one). Let me know, I'm thinking of picking it up when I get the 40 bucks to do so.

------------------
"I'm just rocking it hard like a creature coming out of the black lagoon."-Wesley Willis
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Firstly, go to Best Buy, it's only $25 there.

The release is good, a very nice letterbox print. Looks SO much better than the old Magnum VHS. The limited edition you are describing comes with a bonus documentary (on a seperate disc). That's the only extra. The doc is way cool, but it seems like there coulda been more on the second DVD. THe box that it comes in folds out and has cool pics and slogans from the movie. This is my personal favorite movie, so I HAD to get this DVD, but I don't think that it's justified at $40.

If you hate Best Buy, I believe it was also at DVD empire for $25.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

yeah, too bad it's not supposed to be ltbx and the original sound mix isn't included... the remix sucks
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I compared it to the VHS, which appeared to have been cropped, as I didn't trust Anchor Bay and thought it had a full frame ratio. Peter liked using funny things on his camera to give them different ratios...The sound actually got good reviews as well, but to each his own...

Here's a link with plenty of info: http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/bt-le/
------------------

[This message has been edited by I am 138 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the info guys but $40 it is for me as Future Shop is the only outlet in this little town that carries DVD releases like this. Very sad I know! Thanks again.

------------------
"I'm just rocking it hard like a creature coming out of the black lagoon."-Wesley Willis
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

DVD empire is an online store, I think.

------------------

bruce h

Post by bruce h »

#1) HorrorDVDs.com is run by a rather unknowledgeable group. Here's their rating system - if it's by Anchor Bay it rocks. That's it. They suck, and don't know shit.

#2) No camera trick was used to film Bad Taste in widescreen. It was filmed on 16mm at an aspect ratio of 1.33:1. If you compared it to the VHS then what did you see? A ton of additional picture on the top and some at the bottom. There's picture missing at the sides because a different telecine was used for the video transfer. Anchor Bay matted the original fullframe picture so they could sell it as "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs." Case closed.

#3) The sound remix is rubbish. It's too tinny, and is too separated. I wouldn't mind so much if the original tracks were included, but they aren't. I don't know why Anchor Bay only gives us their remixed versions instead of leaving one track open for the original mix - we don't get a choice anymore, we're only given their “new and improved” version. DVD is supposed to be about the preservation of the films we love, and instead we get Anchor Bay constantly reworking them. We had to deal with dumb shit like this in the 80s when video labels would alter movies to appease themselves, now the same shit is happening and little fanboys everywhere are eating it up. Why? Because you can get it at Best Buy and don't have to actually do some work and look for it? It's bullshit.
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I agree with pretty much all your complaints Bruce."DVD is supposed to be about the preservation of films we love." Then that includes the film to video transfer right? I can sound off against other companies that use inferior interlaced transfers and justify them by stating that they are small companies and can't afford the progressive transfer. The customer doesn't give a shit, about these excuses. He deserves the BEST possible transfer, of the film he or she loves. That means as much as we can't let Anchor Bay off the hook, we can't let these other smaller companies off the hook.No more inferior materials and excuses for them on the booklet. Death to the cheap shit interlace transfer.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by bruce h:

#2) If you compared it to the VHS then what did you see? A ton of additional picture on the top and some at the bottom.
Just re-checked, and you're right. I wouldn't say it's a LOT of picture missing from the top and bottom, but that's annoying they pulled this crap again. I don't know why it looked right in the other scene I checked it in, but the beginning is definatly missing picture at the top and bottom. I withdraw my doubt and humbly withdraw from the discussion.

The movies Anchor Bay ALWAYS fucks up are those of George Romero. I guess Dawn of the Dead was matted off the full frame (but can't confirm that), and I know that AB used an inferior print for The Crazies, plus they had these weird almost slow motion glitches. Never bothered with any of his others by them after that...

------------------

[This message has been edited by I am 138 (edited 01-30-2002).]

David Austin

Post by David Austin »

138 - You're a holy fool if you choose to neglect AB's incredible releases of Knightriders and Martin...two Romero movies much better than the Zombie trilogy.

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Originally posted by I am 138:
I know that AB used an inferior print for The Crazies, plus they had these weird almost slow motion glitches.
I'm pretty sure they stole, well, bought their THE CRAZIES print from Redemption Video in the UK. The shitty slow motion was used to extend shots out long enough to cover damaged frames which had been removed. It looks gay.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Originally posted by David Austin:
138 - Knightriders and Martin...two Romero movies much better than the Zombie trilogy.

What!?! You must mean that the RELEASES are better than the dead trilogy RELEASES, right? Please tell me I misunderstood you! I liked Martin, but if you're saying it's a better movie than Day of the Dead, then...then....well I don't know what, but it ain't good!

------------------
Forget ALL unhappiness and pressure. Let us X'mas first!!!!!! Thanks God's leading in whole year!!!!! -eBay seller
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I'll probably eventually get Martin. I actually enjoy Martin more than Dawn of the Dead, but that's because I found the subject matter more interesting, and like the nice fantasy/reality interplay.

------------------

David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Dylan - You completely misunderstood me. MARTIN and KNIGHTRIDERS are light years beyond the Dead movies. No joke. As much as I love Night, Dawn, and Day, I gravitate towards the more personal and contemplative of the Romero movies. I also really have a soft spot for Bruiser and Monkey Shines. But you know what? Fuck it, it's ALL brilliant.

------------------
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

Knightriders is probably my favorite Romero film too - it's THAT fuckin' good!
----------------------
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by David Austin:
Fuck it, it's ALL brilliant.
Esp. Season of the Witch.

------------------

David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Dissin' on The Jack's Wife, huh? `round here, that ain't no good. Bad as it certainly can be, there's also quite a few good things about the film. Watch it again and weep.

------------------
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I will be watching it again shortly, actually. I also wasn't really trying to fling shit, as I'd pretty much agree with the statement that anything Romero makes is interesting, if not good. Dark Half isn't great, but is kinda fun, Bruiser ain't that fun, but is pretty interesting. There's always some merit there somewhere.

------------------