E.T. shoulda stayed home!

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

E.T. shoulda stayed home!

Post by Remo D »

Yep, BLADE II kicked E.T.'s ass something like two-to-one this weekend--31 mil to 15 mil, as I recall.

And don't give me that "family film" excuse, either--ICE AGE, in its SECOND weekend, whopped the tar out of the "special edition" of E.T. in its first!

You should know that I have nothing against either E.T. or Steven Spielberg. I saw the original version of E.T. when it came out and enjoyed it quite well enough for the family-friendly outing it was (not that I thought it was the single greatest film ever made), and my family has a copy somewhere, even if today it's a bit too sentimental for my taste. And if it weren't for those last twenty minutes, I would have said great things about A.I. (and I still recommend at least one viewing).

What I DO have something against are these damned "special editions." I'm not talking about restored directors cuts that take the place of severely cut films we had in the past--I'm talking about the "revamping" of films that most people tended to think were pretty okay in the first place.

Gotta change them special effects--got to throw in an extra scene or two to make sure everybody comes back--got to remove the word "terrorist" from the soundtrack, for God's sake...

As a result, the versions of the original STAR WARS trilogy, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and E.T. that we saw (and in most cases, loved) the first time around are no longer available--we're asked to settle for these alleged "upgrades" permanently. Won't that make things fun for potential film historians?

Well, I hope this teaches SOMEBODY a lesson. A familiar lesson--something along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I'm GLAD the new E.T. is tanking--GLAD, I tell you! Maybe that'll put a stop to this complete and utter NONSENSE.

There. I feel better now.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I dunno, there's some sort defensive arguement out there that a director should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants with his movie. Well, obviously Old Spielberg ain't Young Spielberg and I reckon YS should kick OS's second guessing arse.

Who's fucked with RAIDERS? Ain't nobody fucked with RAIDERS. Anybody so much as touch that film and I'll send my man Leroy here to bust their chops.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Spielberg and Lucas are, indeed, entitled to do whatever they want with their films--the question will always be if it's the right decision.

When the new EXORCIST opened, I was delighted to see it on the big screen, and it was still the best film I saw in theatres that year... but that's because it was THE EXORCIST, not because it had become "The Version You've Never Seen." My DVD collection boasts the original cut of THE EXORCIST, and the "new" stuff is just fine as supplemental material as far as I'm concerned. Unless I miss my guess, that cut of the film is still available on a mass basis, as well--unlike STAR WARS, RAIDERS or E.T.

RAIDERS? Yep, they messed with it--they just didn't put it in theatres again. The "official" version of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK now available on video is a revamped version with "new and improved" special effects (mainly during the opening of the ark). I doubt very much that the original cut will be made available for distribution again--just like the original STAR WARS and E.T.

What's a film historian to do, say, twenty years from now, if the only versions of these films he can find are the "special editions?" Can he properly place the films, their techniques and their effects in their proper context from the time of their original releases?

I'm not saying there ought to be a law--I'm just saying that some people really ought to know better.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I have the old school VHS of the Star Wars trilogy, and I shan't be upgrading. Unfortunately, a LOT of people liked the new Star Wars releases...idiots. Great to see 'em on the big screen again, but for fucks sake, there should still be the REAL versions available.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
T.Luster

Post by T.Luster »

Fuck ET!

Bring back XTRO-1983

Now that's a cool movie :-)
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Man, this is the first time I've heard about the molestation of RAIDERS (although there were reports at the premiere of the new ET that they were considering doing the same thing with the first Indy film - like it could withstand Spielberg's wimpy revisionism). Know where I can read about the 'tweaks'?

Apparently fans have been assured that ET will be available in its original version on DVD so its not as frustrating as, say, the STAR WARS situation but this whole Orwellian farce stinks.

Its like sticking arms on the Venus de Milo and putting cocks in both hands.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I'll still go see it. I can still remember when my grandparents took me and my bro to see it when it first came out. I am glad that Spielberg passed on a sequel.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I saw it at the theatre at age 3. It bored me then, and it bored me when I saw it at 12. What's the big deal with this movie? It sucks.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]