Ichi the Killer - Dutch DVD?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Nocturnaloner

Ichi the Killer - Dutch DVD?

Post by Nocturnaloner »

If you go to adrenafilm.de and click on the 'Coming Soon' link, halfway down the page is this:

ICHI THE KILLER
Goreknaller von Takashi Miike. Holland-DVD, uncut, englische UT.
DVD: ab November; Preis: TBC

First I've heard of it, but it sounds good. Sounds real good.

Can anyone corroborate this?
Nocturnaloner

Dutch Filmworks- Nov. 19th

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Well, just to followup on my own post, someone over on the SGM board offers this:

"The Disc will be released from Dutch Film Works.

It will have englisch Subtitels and the guys from DFW told me, that the Release-Date is the 19.Nov.02. "

Excellent news if I do say so myself.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Sweet! Hope it doesn't cost too much :)
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Here's another tidbit from Al Sex Gore- looks like the Dutch Filmworks will be the one to get:

"To try explain things s bit...'Ichi' was picked up by Medusa in the UK and played theatrically in some art house cinemas at the start of the year. Medusa are the parent company of Hong Kong Legends and I'm sure they will release this here at some point, though no doubt it will be cut. But...Hong Kong Legends have a deal with Dutch Film Works to do the Hong Kong Legends line there but best of all the DFW HKL are able to put their releases out uncut. So the Dutch release is definiteley the one to go for, Hong Kong Legends track record is fantastic with some of the best DVD releases out there (check them out if you already haven't) so the uncut Dutch release should be the business."

No one's said anything about price, but DFW stuff is usually reasonable.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

why the hell is an uncut version of this movie so hard to come by?

Adrenafilm is sort of a shady outfit from what I can tell. I looked into them at one point when I was trying to find a R0 DVD of Versus and they were the only ones to have it. But it turned out to be a faulty bootleg that wouldn't play past a certain time on the disc.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Adrenafilm is just an e-tailer. The boot of Versus would be around whether they sold it or not, neither of which has anything to to do with Dutch Filmworks. My only experience wtih DFW is their Dawn of the Dead 2-disc set, which, while not the greatest thing in the world, is something I'm glad I have. Seems like most of the BS about getting Miike flicks would be a moot point if they would just get released in Japan with english subs. I have no idea what's up with that.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the UK (Tartan?) disc of Dead or Alive? Is it uncut?
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I saw a DVD rip of the Tartan disc.

It's uncut as far as I could tell. It had been a while since I watched my VHS boot, but it looks like it's all there.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've been debating about picking up Tartan's DOA disc also, but I'm not in any rush since I recently saw it on the big screen. All online reviews and various forum postings I've read indicate the Tartan DVD is the uncut version.

There's been more news on the Dutch ICHI disc as well. It's going to be 2 disc set. It will be a new transfer from the original negatives. There will be commentary from (HK film expert & regular HKL commentator) Bey Logan & the female lead of ICHI as well.
Now I know what I'm going to be asking Santa to bring me :)
"When Cliff Richard wrote 'Wired For Sound', there's no way he was sitting on a clean lavatory" - Rik Mayall, The Young Ones.
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

This is sounding better and better. The Bey Logan commentary confirms the HKL connection I quoted above. Looks like this will be the uncut HKL version of Ichi.

Thanks for the replies on DOA as well. It's on order at Benson's World, but I was having them hold it till the 9th, when Vanishing Point comes in. God I love that movie.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I just got a "boot" of Ichi. I say"boot" because the fucking thing comes in a slipcase and has a gatefold cover. It says it's R-3, but it's playing for me. It's 1.85:1 with four sub options. I was trying to get someplace (very little english on the menus) and may have found an easter egg of behind the scenes stuff. It may not be an egg, but I definetly got behind the scenes footage. There also looked to be an interview and POSSIBLY a audio commentary. The disc's run time is 2 hrs and 8 minutes and a few seconds. Print looked pretty good, I'll be watching it either tonight or tomorrow. I got this off e-bay for like $10.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
cultcuts

Post by cultcuts »

Originally posted by Latte Thunder
I saw a DVD rip of the Tartan disc.

It's uncut as far as I could tell. It had been a while since I watched my VHS boot, but it looks like it's all there.
Tartan's release of DOA is uncut. I also have the Universe Laser DVD of Ichi which is butchered.
Mark
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Cool. I got the Tartan DOA in my most recent Bensons World order. It's sitting in the unwatched queue, just waiting for the proper moment...
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I watched the Tartan disc and it didn't seem to have anything cut out of it. Pretty good picture too and the subs were nice. There's a pretty interesting interview with Miike as well. Good times.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

A review of Tartan's DEAD OR ALIVE DVD:

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/module ... =0&thold=0