The Night Of The Hunted

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
gothbat

The Night Of The Hunted

Post by gothbat »

I just finished another viewing of this movie and while I do find it a bit slow at times I find it to be just as enjoyable as the first time I saw, and loved, it. I always wonder about this movie though. Is the movie just what it appears to be at face value, a bizarre, tragic, love story, or is it something more metaphoric, or perhaps both? While the closing shot makes me think the former the rest of the movie makes me think it’s the latter or both. Perhaps it was intended to deliver a message to the effect of that so long as you are remembered you never really die? Many times throughout the movie the victims of the radiation leak are referred to as being “dead”, merely zombies but the pacing, the amount of “reel time” elapsing between Elysabeth’s meeting Robert and his reappearance after she is captured, suggests this to me. I also wonder about the final scene. Was the gunshot wound to Robert nonfatal but damaging enough to reduce him to Elysabeth’s mental state or was it indeed fatal and he was just acting on his feelings/desires for her in his final minutes? I’m probably just overanalyzing this movie, I am after all drunk, but, since seeing it for the first time about 8 years ago, I still wonder about it. This will probably always be one of my all time favorites.
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)