One Hour Photo

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Rich

One Hour Photo

Post by Rich »

Caught this at the theater last night and I have to say its definitely not a movie I expected to be playing at the better theater we have in this city. We have two major cinemas and usually the crappier one gets the more un-noticed films (The Pledge, Fubar, Shadow Of The Vampire) while the bigger mall gets the bigger Hollywood films. I'm guessing Robin Williams starring had something to do with it but in this he's not the usual goofy ass Robin Williams he's more of the Insomnia Robin Williams but these two movies are nothing a like.

First off I noticed the crowd in the theater to be a lot older than usual, no hip hop jack offs or teenie boppers and this suited me just fine. The movie itself is not fast paced, it takes its time with slow shots of Williams displaying how lonely the poor sap really is and you get a real sense of his emptiness, his character reminded me of the lead actor in the film Heavy (to a certain degree) and you really feel bad for Williams throughout the film, I'd just like to find out more about his motivation but the film still delivered some great moments. Its not violent or gory and there is practically no bodycount but if you like absorbing films then give it a chance, its definitely a different, unique and refreshing film.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Most of the stuff I pretended to say about SWIMFAN? In the case of ONE HOUR PHOTO, this time I mean it! The "stalker" film can be made to appear fresh and new, after all--this one certainly doesn't follow the route you expect it to.

It's true--Robin Williams is the stalker, but he makes it very hard to look at him as a "villain." You get a real sense of his loneliness (and it rubs off on the characters, as well) and can almost support his actions even when you know he's not quite "all there." It's really an amazing performance--those who got tired of Williams as a misunderstood saint will want to see this (and seeing DEATH TO SMOOCHY doesn't quite pave the way for this one, either).

This time, the script really is exciting. This time, the performances really are award-caliber. This time, the direction really is taut (and very suspenseful). And while more "devastating shocks" exist in other films, you'll still have a lot to think about when you leave the theatre.

SWIMFAN, my ass. Go see how it's REALLY done.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Jon

Post by Jon »

While it doesn't open in Australia until Halloween, I've been keen on this ever since finding out it was the long awaited (by me anyway) return of writer/director Mark Romanek to the big screen after the excellent STATIC from way back in 1985.

STATIC starred Keith Gordon (who also co-wrote) as a young man who, following the death of his parents, develops a machine that may actually provide images of Heaven. No gore or mayhem, just a great film that really draws you in.
"When Cliff Richard wrote 'Wired For Sound', there's no way he was sitting on a clean lavatory" - Rik Mayall, The Young Ones.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Yeah, this one is pretty well done and a welcome relief from your usual cat and mouse thrillers that just seem to tread the same ground again and again and guess what, Morgan Freeman ain't nowhere to be seen because its not like that.

Robin Williams is sinisterly sympathetic as the photo guy who goes about his business with a crack in his windshield and an even bigger crack inside his head. He always looked like a child molester or a nazi or something so this role suits him just fine and its good to see him not playing second-fiddle to a lame CGI effect or whatever.

Um, yeah, well done. I'd watch it again.

Oh and Jon, I haven't seen STATIC but if its got Keith Gordon (aka the guy from COMBAT ACADEMY and a certain J.C. flick) in it, then its got to be worth checking out. I'd like to see him and Brian Backer do a movie together. I don't know why. I just would.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Oh, and I forgot to add: Gary Cole is in it, playing a very similar character to his one in office space, only it ain't for laughs. Go Gary Cole.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I think I spent over a decade hoping STATIC would get released on tape in Oz after first reading a review of it in Shock Xpress. I finally snagged it on laserdisc for $10 during the formats last legs.

KG and Brian Backer together, hey? Perhaps you could make do with a double bill of COMBAT ACADEMY and MOVING VIOLATIONS (both from director Neil Israel). I've actually always hoped someone would make a buddy-cop flick starring Steve Buscemi and James Lorinz with Don Knotts or Kevin Spacey as their boss....

Another KG flick I've always been kinda partial to is BACK TO SCHOOL, although this is more because of the Rodney Dangerfield factor. Not to mention the great Burt Young AND Oingo Boingo playing the awesome "Dead Man's Party". God, now I'm getting misty eyed for some 80's comedy. Perhaps it's time to rent SUMMER SCHOOL again.....
"When Cliff Richard wrote 'Wired For Sound', there's no way he was sitting on a clean lavatory" - Rik Mayall, The Young Ones.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I really need to re-aquaint myself with BACK TO SCHOOL. Its been too, too long. I've recently re-revisited Israel faves POLICE ACADEMY and BACHELOR PARTY so no worries there and it wasn't TOO long ago that I saw MOVING VIOLATIONS (where James Keach seemingly expands his small role from NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION into a major character). Can't forget Ned Eisenberg's lovable turn as the token gore-monger either, who also played alongside Brian Backer in THE BURNING if I'm not mistaken.

Last time I saw SUMMER SCHOOL it didn't go down as well as previous viewings but it could've just been bad timing. And speaking of token gore-mongers, I once spent nearly an entire night over at Dean Cameron's website (http://dean.mightycheese.com/) reading some kinda journal he'd set up. He's quite philisophical about how his career has panned out as I recall. Yeah, slow evening, that one.

Ahhh, semantics...

Somebody needs to publish an 80's comedy family tree.