Anyone see 'The Others' yet?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
dude

Anyone see 'The Others' yet?

Post by dude »

What a cool spooky movie. Like the Japanese classics Ring or Joyurei, it doesn't have cheap shocks or crappy CG monsters ruining any kind of mood. Instead, it realizes the scariest thing in any movie is what you can't see, but what you fear might be there. It only has a PG rating, but everyone in the theater was more on the edge of their seats then in any Hollywood horror movie in recent memory. Any comments? Has anyone seen any other good movies like this (North American or otherwise) where the atmosphere takes center stage rather than goofy looking monsters?
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I really want to see this as it's by the same director who brought us the great films Thesis and Open Your Eyes (which I'm sure will be crap as the American remake under the title Vanilla Sky :mad Imageanyhoooo.... the only thing stopping me from running out and seeing it is the fact that I can't stand Nicole Kidman... blah
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I haven't seen it yet but I plan to eventually. Based on what I heard, it sounded like a movie worth seeing. Only problem is that there are other movies that I really want to see first. I might check it out this week if I have a chance before seeing AMERICAN OUTLAWS. If I don't see it in the theater, then I'll definitely see it on video. Oh, did I mention that I find Nicole Kidman attractive? Image
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Man... I like this movie a lot. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and actually jumped during one scene (the entire place did too, it was a sight to see). The atmosphere is easily the best part. It's a dark movie and most of it takes place in claustrophobic settings where the light has been shut out by heavy curtains.

Definitely see this movie. It's easily one of the scariest pics I've seen in a long time. Clive Barker was quoted saying the same thing.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Well it took long enough, but I think we have another contender for "best horror film of 2001". THE OTHERS was nothing short of a classic from beginning to end. A film that I knew very little about but walked away from completely surprised. I'm not too familiar with this director, but now I want to hunt down some of his other films because he really did an excellent job here. Nicole Kidman's performance was also a lot better that I expected. The story may start out slow, but if the viewer stays with it they will be well rewarded at the end. There were also quite a few genuine scares that actually made me jump a few times. And I totally agree on what makes the scares work in this one. It is all based on atmosphere and story instead of special effects. Indeed, this is the type of movie THE HAUNTING should have been. Even if you have doubts about THE OTHERS, this is definitely a movie worth checking out. You'd be hard pressed to find anymore decent horror this year, so why pass this one up?
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Wumpdeath

Post by Wumpdeath »

I just saw this last week and I loved it.It was nice to see some new faces(other than Nicole Kidman)too.And the title fits the movie perfectly.
violentm

Post by violentm »

The Others is definately an instant classic. I put it next to The Changeling.
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Finally caught up with it... oh, definitely yes--someone needs to sit Jan De Bont down and force-feed him this one! It's the mark of a truly fine film when I figure (almost) the whole thing out in the early stages but get caught up in it regardless. I think we're all talking about the same "jump" scene, by the way?

Sheesh--I have to scratch, bite and tear to get time for ANY movie these days... after a crush of "summer movies" that did no more and no less than I expected from them, THE OTHERS was a treat. The only reason I didn't get enthused about seeing it earlier was because the ads made it look like an uncredited Henry James ripoff. In a word, 'taint.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Remo D - Glad you enjoyed THE OTHERS...it's incredibly cool and atmospheric little movie, and a lot of fun. Like Kim, I can't stand Nicole Kidman either. However, I liked her performance in this movie. Can't wait to see what else Alejandro Amenabar puts out. OPEN YOUR EYES was brilliant.

BTW, what are your plans for FLESHEATERS after the Carmel screening? We Cornel Wilde fans have to look out for each other...

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
Scott

Post by Scott »

Easily the best horror film of 2001. Hands down. And what a surprise ending.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

David... trying to remember where I posted that Cornel Wilde reference! Just taped SHARK'S TREASURE, too!

As for FLESH EATERS? We seek a distributor, plain and simple, and we're weighing offers. I'll be sure and holler when we've come to a decision. In the meantime, anyone who can make it to the Monterey area on Saturday, Sep. 22nd has a chance to see it on the big screen--drop me a line for more info!
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Remo, it's the fact that you even know who Cornel Wilde IS that makes you a fan. BEACH RED is one of the best films ever made...sadly, I haven't seen SHARK'S TREASURE yet. THE NAKED PREY and NO BLADE OF GRASS are two other classics.

Good luck on everything, Shane. Sounds like a winner.

------------------