The Returner -- Even Japan makes cheese

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Latte Thunder

The Returner -- Even Japan makes cheese

Post by Latte Thunder »

I've been tracking the Returner since I saw a trailer for it probably a year ago. It was a pretty exciting trailer with a lot of high flying stunts and special effects. I knew from the start that this was going to be a fun movie.

It borrows liberally from four movies. The Terminator, ET, Back To The Future and The Matrix.

Here's how it breaks down:

In the future, mankind is doomed by an alien invasion and hides in underground fortresses. The aliens track the humans down to their last hideout, a research facility that is building a time machine. When the aliens attack, the final resistance is cut to pieces and the only person capable of making it to the time machine is a young girl. She jumps back to 2002 and enlists the help of Miyamoto, a cool as fuck gun slinger who has been hunting a criminal named Mizoguchi since he was a child, to help her find the first alien and destroy it. Things get a little complicated, of course, and there's a lot of crazy gunplay, huge special effects and wild stunts. It's also layered with a metric ton of cheese. It's silly to the last drop... but that's not such a bad thing.

Like Volcano High, it's thrilling and exciting but is pretty light on plot. So I didn't mind at all.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Re: The Returner -- Even Japan makes cheese

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Originally posted by Latte Thunder
It borrows liberally from four movies. The Terminator, ET, Back To The Future and The Matrix.
Don't forget The Transformers...

Wow, yeah, cheesy stuff. Worth watching though at least once.
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

While there's no way I'm missing this, there's also no way that I'm paying 50 bucks for the regular edition, or 64 for the 2-disc special edition :rolleyes: Ebay, here I come.
ROBERT

editions

Post by ROBERT »

The HONG KONG DVD edition which will be dirt cheap is coming out soon. Maybe another week.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Yeah, its a fun movie but its pretty much throwaway entertainment. You wouldn't wanna invest any substantial bucks in a fancy pants edition without checking it out, first.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I just got done watching this and found it pretty entertaining, the cheese factor was quite high all right. I got the Universe HK DVD from yesasia.com for 13.99. The box (and the web site) claim region 3 but the one I got is region free, plays just fine on my only Sony and my Xbox.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women