Did anyone get the new Argento DVDs from Anchor Bay?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Darth Tanner

Did anyone get the new Argento DVDs from Anchor Bay?

Post by Darth Tanner »

I was wondering if anyone on here got the new DVD releases of Argento's SUSPIRIA and OPERA. I saw the Limited Edition of SUSPIRIA at Best Buy for $27.99. It looked cool, but I was wary of getting it since I heard Anchor Bay recalled all of the OPERA discs due to playback problems. Because of this, I was concerned about whether or not SUSPIRIA would play on my Apex. Did anyone who got these two discs have any problems with them? If not, I might bag SUSPIRIA (and possibly OPERA when it is corrected).
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Chucky,

The SUSPIRIA DVD is one of the best out there right now. Quite honestly, it's one of the most beautiful I've laid my eyes on. The limited edition is the one to get if you don't have the soundtrack (it's essential).

Haven't picked up OPERA yet, but I'm looking for it.

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Yeah, I picked up SUSPIRIA and it played perfectly for me. As far as I'm aware, the only problems have been with OPERA which, as you know, has now been recalled. That said, I did give OPERA a spin and it worked just fine.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

No problems with my copy of the special edition. Gotta agree with David, too--it's a really beautiful disc. I had high hopes for this one, and I think it came out even better than I'd expected.

Mike B.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

My LE copy of Opera locks up my Apex 600a during chapter 15 and hard locks my PC (Asus DVD-ROM E608) using any software DVD player or the Hollywood Plus hardware decoder just from trying to start it. Under Windows XP RTM (I dual boot) it just crashes the decoder. Granted I have had some problems with the Apex but only on T2 and Stuart Little due to the "seamless branching" stuff. No DVD has ever given me grief on my PC so I am positive there are a number of defective disks out there. I am looking very forward t recieving my replacement.

On a related note the Suspiria DVD is awesome, the movie has never looked or sounded better. I'm still gonna keep my old Image LD of it since I am such a packrat.

------------------
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women

Don't forget to check out the The Horrornews Rogues Gallery and our music site Gravemusic.com
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

That copy of OPERA that I mentioned before? Its now completely fucked. Bring on the replacement disc!
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Well I went to Best Buy and purchased the Limited Editions of SUSPIRIA and OPERA. As I had feared, OPERA would not even read in my Apex or DVD-ROM drive. No big deal...I just went to Anchor Bay's website and filled out the form for a replacement disc and look forward to recieving it before too long and finally seeing it in it's widescreen and THX glory.

And yes, SUSPIRIA was awesome and well worth every penny. Hope OPERA will look as good as this one did on DVD.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

i bought Opera and it worked just fine - for about 3 weeks. now it doesn't load in either of my players. i don't get it.

as for Suspiria - AB totally fucked up the audio with their remix. heaven forbid they actually leave a film untampered with, or even include the original audio track...
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]