DRM and SecureROM

This forum is for discussion of console and PC games.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Rainbow Brite

DRM and SecureROM

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Someone explain DRM's and secureROM to me in relation to music downloads and PC gaming.

Spore is coming out this fall. I REALLY want it, then i went and read this crap about EA's EULA and suddenly I am reading words like invasive, destructive and malicious. Then i continue reading about Bioshock and Sims, games that I already have. Then is mentions Steam and valve games, ah geez, it just keeps going.

I understand why its the bad, but what does it really mean.

No offense to you MS workers out there, but I run Windows and I have to wipe my hard drive at least once or twice a year.

Chris?
4G?
4G

Post by 4G »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Someone explain DRM's and secureROM to me in relation to music downloads and PC gaming.

Spore is coming out this fall. I REALLY want it, then i went and read this crap about EA's EULA and suddenly I am reading words like invasive, destructive and malicious. Then i continue reading about Bioshock and Sims, games that I already have. Then is mentions Steam and valve games, ah geez, it just keeps going.

I understand why its the bad, but what does it really mean.

No offense to you MS workers out there, but I run Windows and I have to wipe my hard drive at least once or twice a year.

Chris?
4G?
They are basically copy protections for original Media. When you see pirated games that include a NOCD hack that is why.

Some of these use hardware and account information to tie a download to a particular user\machine. An example is taking your hardware info for your gaming console + your user profile and associating that with a piece of downloaded content.

That way you could not purchase songs for Rockband for instance and download them to your friends console using your profile.

SecuRAM is something similar to safedisc I believe, where it requires a connection with the original disc in order to run, or require an activation to a server that is pinged when you are playing. This is to ensure you do not have a copy of the original.

Most all products allow you several re-activations in case you have to format etc. If you buy new hardware, most companies will also give you a new activation code. You just have to call their help dept for it.

Does that help?
4G
[url]http://www.myspace.com/clawmusic[/url]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I've worked with and used numerous games that use Securom and SafeDisc for copy protection and have had zero issues. Some people have hardware that isn't compatible (usually CD/DVD drives) but companies are pretty quick to bring out patches that address that. I wouldn't be too worried.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Rainbow Brite

Post by Rainbow Brite »

4G wrote:They are basically copy protections for original Media. When you see pirated games that include a NOCD hack that is why.

Some of these use hardware and account information to tie a download to a particular user\machine. An example is taking your hardware info for your gaming console + your user profile and associating that with a piece of downloaded content.

That way you could not purchase songs for Rockband for instance and download them to your friends console using your profile.

SecuRAM is something similar to safedisc I believe, where it requires a connection with the original disc in order to run, or require an activation to a server that is pinged when you are playing. This is to ensure you do not have a copy of the original.

Most all products allow you several re-activations in case you have to format etc. If you buy new hardware, most companies will also give you a new activation code. You just have to call their help dept for it.

Does that help?
4G
Yes, it helps. but i'm not a pirate.
4G

Post by 4G »

Rainbow Brite wrote:Yes, it helps. but i'm not a pirate.
Didn't think you were, if you have any activation issues call their help line or go online and ask for a new activation code from their site.

Otherwise you should be able to re-install and re-activate.

4G
Rainbow Brite

Post by Rainbow Brite »

i was actually making a joke there.
4G

Post by 4G »

Rainbow Brite wrote:i was actually making a joke there.
Sorry, humor was the first thing removed when I started at M$...