New Moon

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

New Moon

Post by Remo D » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Thank you, Summit Entertainment, for not actually placing the words "THE TWILIGHT SAGA" on the opening title sequence of this second entry. Now I don't have to deal with the "long" version of the title anymore.

For those of you NOT following the saga (and wondering why on earth I continue to do so), I saw the first movie out of curiosity--my daughter had read all the books and was a huge fan. I didn't think TWILIGHT was outstanding "horror," but I didn't think it was a bad little movie on its own, and it certainly had more interesting characters than most vapid 'teen' movies I'd seen. So I went ahead and read the books (which were quite handy, no effort on my part involved). Long story short--I thought the first and third books were significantly better than the second and fourth ones (especially the latter). So I can't say I was looking forward with any marked enthusiasm to seeing the movie of NEW MOON... but I had the opportunity to take Rebecca and Cameron (who wanted to see it even more than his sister did).

Okay--I thought NEW MOON was a fairly uninspired retread of the first TWILIGHT, with Bella trying to deal with the fact that her new friend is a werewolf as opposed to a vampire. Two bitter breakups "you just don't understand and you'll never understand" in a row, and a spelled-out ROMEO AND JULIET parallel that doesn't quite pan out because Bella doesn't actually BELONG to either of the feuding families in this case.

Here's what didn't work for me:

1. The CGI werewolves never looked like anything but giant cartoons.

2. The "Matrix" vampire fight scenes. STOP WITH THE "MATRIX" STUFF!!! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!!!!

3. The soundtrack songs called attention to themselves far more than they enhanced the on-screen action.

4. I personally found the film slow paced and occasionally corny (I'm afraid I'll never go for the sunlight glitter or the ghostly manifestations). HOWEVER...

...both Rebecca (who had previously turned her back on the series and wasn't honestly looking forward to this one) and Cameron found themselves quite engrossed in it, and it's not just because the approach was "juvenile" or anything as simple as that. They obviously know how to play to the target audience, so what DID work for me?

1. The performances were quite good and true to character... Taylor Lautner especially came into his own as Jacob--enough to put an end to the "Shark Boy" jokes we were always cracking, and he and Bella (Kristen Stewart) play off each other exceptionally well. True to the book, Robert Pattinson's Edward (though top-billed) has a very limited role, but he's also quite credible (when he isn't GLITTERING, that is, urrghhh...).

2. Occasionally, genuine intensity pops up among the obviously overstated bits of melodrama. The sequence of Jasper "losing it" over Bella's accidental paper cut turned out to be especially well-staged.

3. Michael Sheen (yep, the FROST/NIXON Frost) as Aro, leader of the vampiric Volturi. Inspired casting and a truly great addition to the series--he enlivens every scene in which he appears (which, unfortunately, aren't that many) with his genial menace. If you don't like your vampires friendly and/or romantic, well, here you go.

Meanwhile, I can already tell you pretty much what I'll say about the next two films (so long as they stick with the books as faithfully as the first two did). I'll tell you that the third one was signficantly more interesting than this one, and I'll tell you that the fourth and final entry is a stinkbomb that completely betrays the theme of the series.

If you think I'm wasting my time with the TWILIGHT stuff, that's your privilege. But personally, I find these observations a lot more interesting than simply saying "Phooey--I ain't watching TWILIGHT!"

So there you go--your move!
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 am

Good old Remo....taking one for the team so we don't have to;)

I have no interest in NEW MOON or any of the other movies. I finally saw TWILIGHT when I was on vacation this summer and the only good thing I can say is that I didn't pay to see it. That had to be one of the most overhyped movies ever and it almost bored me to tears. It was a real chore to sit through without nodding off. Kristen Stewart is one of the most emotionless actresses I've ever seen and the so-called vampires were every bit as scary as the Smurfs. If I want to see a real vampire movie, I'll watch THE FORSAKEN or BLADE. Hell even BLADE: TRINITY was more entertaining than TWILIGHT

Then again....I'm definitely the wrong audience for this one. I'm sure the younger crowd will eat these movies up. I'll probably wait and see them when they achieve cult status in 10 or 20 years. Fuck NEW MOON.....go see NINJA ASSASSIN instead.

Vampires fighting werewolfs?!? Gee that sounds like something I saw a few years ago called UNDERWORLD:)
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]