The Crazies (2010)

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

The Crazies (2010)

Post by Remo D » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Okay, it's only been a week, but it's already time to retire my "Better than SHUTTER ISLAND" gag. Here's the good stuff. And THEN some.

A detailed review would do no justice to the Romero-sanctioned remake of THE CRAZIES. You know the premise, and all I'd accomplish by stretching out the details would be to partially defuse it before it had a chance to work.

Let me just say that this is one remake that blows the original utterly out of the water. I was absolutely, unquestionably STUNNED by the unbroken string of intense setpieces... this is relentless, vicious, hand-on-your-throat material; superbly staged and extremely well acted. You will not lack for anything you could possibly want from a horror film... especially if you've endured the idiocy of LEGION and the utter banality of you-know-what in recent weeks.

This is primo Romero, ably mastered by relatively new director Breck Eisner (an experienced hand at episodic television--I never saw his SAHARA). According to the IMDB, his next two projects are also remakes... from this film, I have no idea what on earth he's going to make out of FLASH GORDON... but on the other hand, if David Cronenberg's THE BROOD simply has to be remade? At least I'd trust this guy to do it.

Go crazy. Now.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:13 pm

What Remo said! I caught this yesterday and liked it as well. I only saw the original once many years ago and can only remember being somewhat disappointed and thought it was one of Romero's lesser movies (but I do have to admit it was at least better than SEASON OF THE WITCH). This remake does keep the same story elements but is executed a lot better plus there were some killer setpieces (the car wash and runaway saw to name a few). I still liked the WOLF MAN remake a little better, but this one was another winner in my book and I urge everyone to go check it out.

For the record, I have yet to see that other recent film which will no doubt wind up on Remo's "Worst of 2010" list:)
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Fucking GREAT film, the best remake I have seen since "The Thing." I liked the Romero film a lot and thought that the remake was actually better as it was more effective at conveying the apocalyptic feeling. Having more money to spend probably helped quite a bit but whatever, it worked.

Best horror film of the year? So far it is for me.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women

Evil Red

Post by Evil Red » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 am

I liked it. More-so than I thought I would actually. :)
I made the Devil do it.