I won't review BREAKING DAWN...

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

I won't review BREAKING DAWN...

Post by Remo D » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:00 am

Greetings once again...

I believe I've been completely fair to the phenomenon that is the TWILIGHT series in both movie and book form. I don't think that they're great literature, but I have read all four books... and I've had some positive things to say about each of the movies to date (through and including ECLIPSE). But I'm calling it early and declaring the movie series finished as far as I'm concerned--for two very good reasons.

First of all, I thought the book was truly awful and that it demonstrated near-contempt for the faithful readers who had followed the saga thus far. But we don't need to get into a debate over literary merit... let's simply boil it down to this. If you care about the character of Bella at all, you would probably agree that the entire series has been building up to her one fateful, irrevocable decision... will she WILLINGLY give up her own humanity in order to live eternally with vampire Edward? This is the moment that matters, right?

Well, guess what? She doesn't have to make the decision--it gets made for her.

Yeah. That's right up there with THE BRADY BUNCH... when Greg has to choose between his sister and his girlfriend for head cheerleader (as if he'd actually be permitted to be in that position)? Naturally, he chooses the one in the middle.

Maybe that's fine for a sitcom... but after sitting through three TWILIGHT stories in which Bella's choice was the ultimate question, I believe any reader (or viewer) has the right to expect more than a cowardly non-answer.

As for the other reason I'm not going to see the movie? It's because it's actually the MOVIES.

Yep--BREAKING DAWN is pulling a HARRY POTTER and coming out as two separate feature films. Well, you know what? I've read both books, and I'm more than willing to concede that HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS is a true epic that can't be adequately contained in a single feature. It's WORTH two movies and I'll gladly pay for my two tickets. It's full of depth, character, story, action... and virtually all of it is crucial.

As for BREAKING DAWN? Yeah, it's LONGER than the other TWILIGHT books, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that it couldn't be effectively condensed into ONE movie.

It's no longer worth the effort. Having come this far, I was willing to buy ONE last ticket to see the movie series through. But for a book this bad, it's the ultimate insult to ask me to buy TWO.

I'm officially done with TWILIGHT (unless, of course, someone else pays for me to see it, and even THEN they'll have a bit of a struggle on their hands). Time to pop NEAR DARK back on.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 am

I don't think anyone would blame you for giving up on TWILIGHT Remo. I've enjoyed reading your reviews over the years and they've definitely shaped my decisions when it comes to seeing movies. I'd rather hear about more worthwhile movies than anything else in this series. As I stated before, I never got into the TWILIGHT phenomenon. I never read the books, but I saw the first movie and it bored me so much that I never bothered with the others. I'm pretty sure that ten years from now the whole thing will be a forgotten fad.

Good call though on NEAR DARK. That's a great vampire flick that people don't reference enough. Hell I even liked THE FORSAKEN (which borrowed heavily from ND).

Since we're on the subject of vampires, has anyone on here seen the HBO series "True Blood"? A friend of mine was going on about it, but I don't get HBO so have been unable to check it out. She did tell me that Anna Paquin got nude in it (which certainly sparked my curiosity), but I had a feeling this was just another TWILIGHT cash-in. Just wondering if TB was worth seeing at all?
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]