George Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Darth Tanner

George Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Post by Darth Tanner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 am

So nobody else on here has seen this yet?!?

I finally saw it yesterday and have to say I was really let down by it. IMO this is easily the worst of Romero's "dead" series and actually made me like DIARY OF THE DEAD a lot more (which I honestly didn't like as much as most people did). I found it hard to believe that Romero actually directed this mess. For starters the story just wasn't as interesting as his other films. Also the characters were very generic and uninteresting (despite a good performance by Kenneth Welsh). I also thought that the CGI gore looked really bad. There were a couple of interesting bits scattered about, but this movie really dragged in spots and didn't grab me the way his earlier films did.

I hate to think this movie may be the end of Romero's legacy, but I seriously hope we get one more better movie out of him before he retires. Is there anyone on here that saw this and cares to comment? Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly expected more from Romero.

Remo D

Re: George Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Post by Remo D » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:35 pm

It's not that you're "missing" something at all... Romero didn't want to make another DEAD film so soon after DIARY (which I unabashedly loved), but Dimension made it clear that if he didn't do it, they'd do it for him. He himself admitted that he had nothing new to say in this film... so he indulged himself with widescreen photography (I truly hate the fact that this is the one DEAD film I didn't get to see on the big screen) and a scenario inspired by his favorite epic Westerns (specifically THE BIG COUNTRY).

I acknowledge that it's the least of the Romero DEAD films, but I still found it more watchable than plenty of other movies--amusing if not profound... and you DO have to hand it to Romero for continuing to make movies his way and seeing to it that no two DEAD films are alike... you may like some more than others, but you'll never, ever say "That was just like NIGHT/DAWN/DAY/LAND/DIARY," will you?

Romero doesn't have to make another, 'better' film before he chooses to retire in my book--he's given me everything I could reasonably ask for and then some.

Chris Slack

Re: George Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Post by Chris Slack » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I didn't think it was bad at all, it just wasn't up to my Romero expecations.