Pirates of the Caribbean

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Chris Slack

Pirates of the Caribbean

Post by Chris Slack »

Caught the 10 PM showing of this tonight and was blown away, easily the best of the summer blockbusters. Great story, great SFX and great acting, especially Johnny Depp in what I would consider to be his best performance to date. I expected his pirate to be influenced by old time swashbucklers like Errol Flynn but didn't see any of that. I don't even know what to compare his character to, Captain Jack Sparrow is totally over the top and very unpredictable, I found myself constantly questioning his motives and wondering what he'd do next. Like my other fave Depp roles (Hunter Thompson and Ed Wood) he WAS the character rather than just an actor portraying him.

Geoffrey Rush's Captain Barbasso was a terrific villain and convincingly evil. At times he reminded me of Vincent Price in his heyday with some of his facial expressions and delivery of lines. Orlando Bloom showed me that he could actually portray a character with some feeling, unlike the rather wooden Legolas in the LOTR movies. Not the best performance but more than adequate as the dashing hero out to rescue the damsel in distress. On the subject of the damsel in distress Keira Knightley (who is an unknown to me) is quite the looker and gave a quality performance as well, her character being soft and feminine while still carrying herself as a confident and independent person.

I assumed that this movie would be filled with wire-fighting in the combat scenes but was completely wrong. If there were any wires used they pretty much went unnoticed, no flying pirates to be found. The sword fighting was done in a pretty traditional swashbuckler style that worked very well with the overall tone of the film.

SFX were top notch, the undead reminded me of Harryhausen's skeletons from "Jason and the Argonauts" crossed with modern technology, they didn't look overly smooth like most CGI creatures today and were pretty convincing. The scene where Keira Knightley first steps onto the deck of the Black Pearl was something else! They managed to work in EVERY SINGLE BIT of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (the more modern sanitized version without the lighthearted debauchery of the old one) into the movie in such a way that it would only be obvious to those who have been on the ride several times.

Bottom line is that this was a KILLER movie that must not be missed. Johnny Depp is THE actor to top at this point in time.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!
We pillage, plunder, we rifle and loot,
Drink up, me 'arties, yo ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,

We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack,
Maraud and embezzle and even highjack,

We kindle and char and enflame and ignite,
We burn up the city, we're really a fright,

We're rascals and scoundrels, we're villains and knaves,
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs,

We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do well cads,
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads,
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

Oh thank goodness, i was worried it was going to suck. We were torn about that and extrordinary (sp) league of gentleman. I however prefer Johnny Depp over Sean Connery. dumb i know. Thanks for the scoop Chris.
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

Right on!

Your review was enough to make me go to buy some tickets for the Sunday matinee at the Cinerama.

We're going to the 12:45 p.m. Sunday matinee at the Cinerama. Anyone with us? http://www.seattlecinerama.com/

I'm stoked about this movie! Thanks, Chris!
[color="Magenta"][font="Century Gothic"][b][i][SIZE="2"][url]http://www.myspace.com/metalgoddesscarrie[/url][/SIZE][/i][/b][/font][/color]
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

I wanna go see this movie, but Jonathan doesn't sooooo I need to find someone to go with! Lila? :D
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I think you should kick that Jonathon bitch to the curb and go with me, Sweetheart. I'll pay for popcorn, you can pay for the room.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by Griff [Mola]
I think you should kick that Jonathon bitch to the curb and go with me, Sweetheart. I'll pay for popcorn, you can pay for the room.

Fucking Australians :)
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by Irrylath
I wanna go see this movie, but Jonathan doesn't sooooo I need to find someone to go with! Lila? :D

Just go by yourself, I won't hesitate to do that if there's a movie I want to see and my g/f doesn't want to go.
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

yeh...I'll probably end up going alone....I just find it's more fun to go with someone.....oh well!
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Originally posted by Chris
Fucking Australians :)

Sorry, I was just drunk. And bored.

Canada will do that t'ya...

...but the offer still stands.
TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

Originally posted by Irrylath

Maybe tomorrow?

Gotsa move and shit!!

I will always go to movie with ya.
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

I work on Saturday :( , but I get off Sunday at 4! If he gets paid today we're gonna go see that Extraordinary Gentlemen thing....and I'll give yous guys a review :D
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

A coworker of mine came into the office today freaking out about this movie. She says it was incredible. Far better than she expected. I guess I will have to make a point to see this one!
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

We went to see this movie yesterday. Holy shit!

Easily my favorite movie of the year! Maybe of the last year too. Depp was incredible. Better than X-Men 2, Matrix Reloaded, Hulk, Finding Nemo, etc.

The Cinerama was pretty much sold out for the show, and lots of people were dressed in pirate garb. Really added to the atmosphere.

I would recommend anyone and everyone see Pirates of the Caribbean! Great movie.
[color="Magenta"][font="Century Gothic"][b][i][SIZE="2"][url]http://www.myspace.com/metalgoddesscarrie[/url][/SIZE][/i][/b][/font][/color]
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

I enjoyed it also! Johnny Depp was GREAT! It's been a while since I've gone to a movie where the audience applauded at the end!
TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

Yes, it was fantastic!!!!

I was a little disappointed with the ending though. That guy seemed to really not care that the pirate got away and the blacksmith stole his girl. He was like ehh, big deal. That was weird!!

Johnny Depp is one of the best actors for sure. He had a little Hunter S. Thompson mannerisms for Sparrow as well.

Fun for sure!!
machineaction

Post by machineaction »

Hey guys!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Totally missed this thread and started another one like an idiot!

Oh well, I'm James K. Francis and today is the day I start multiple threads!!!

:D
[url=http://www.thepathsofglory.com]The Paths of Glory | Immortalis • Infinite • MMVII[/url]
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Oh you sons of bastards, I took you to the fricken movie! Stop ya whining shit..;)

Good movie. But to my side was a 3 yr/old making noise. I wanted to smack him up like the little bitch that he is. but I didn't. And there was a teenage chick behind me saying "oh he's sooo cute" everytime Johnny Dumbass was on the screen. gay.

But it was good.

how do you like the new brutaller me?:llama:
Take a picture, trick. I'm on a boat, bitch.
Princess of Hell

Post by Princess of Hell »

Pirates of the Carribean kicked my ass! Johnny Depp is absolutely wonderful. I think I have to see it again. I read (after seeing the movie, naturally) that there is a special vignette that comes up after all the credits roll. The only thing that could make it better would be a soundtrack by RUNNING WILD! ;)
Alison aka Princess of HELL
[url]truemetalseattle.com[/url]
[url]shortfusehc.com[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Oh, heck yes, this was plenty of good fun, and Johnny Depp did another outstanding job (no, not even THE ASTRONAUT'S WIFE was HIS fault).

So--plenty of you have seen it already--may I ask how the children in the audience handled it?

It should come as no surprise to any of you that my four-year-old son can't be scared by such apparitions as the cursed pirates... he loved the "zombies" and kept wondering when they'd be back during the calmer moments.

Of course, thanks to the HAUNTED MANSION trailer at the beginning, he was also hoping that the ghosts and the suits of armor would be returning...
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Gorified

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Post by Gorified »

Originally posted by Chris
....great acting, especially Johnny Depp in what I would consider to be his best performance to date.....

I completely agree! His performance seriously blew me away! I've always liked him ever since the "21 Jump Street" days so, I've always thought he was a fantastic actor but, I was amazed at his perfomance in this film! :D
4 out of 5 losers agree, you're cool!
Irrylath

Re: Re: Pirates of the Caribbean

Post by Irrylath »

Originally posted by Gorified
I've always liked him ever since the "21 Jump Street" days so, I've always thought he

lol.....me too!!!!!!
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/irrylath76/mordor.jpg[/img]
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Cool, I'm glad to hear this is so good. It's the second bill at the drive-in next weekend, so I guess I'll be sitting through Spy Kids 3D.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I finally got to see this on sunday night and I liked it a lot. It was paced really well and it was nice to see action done in a way that didn't involve wire kung fu. Gore Verbinski is really turning out some decent commercial flicks. It gives me hope that the entire Hollywood system isn't totally lost.

On the flip side, how about that trailer for The Haunted Mansion?
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by Latte Thunder
On the flip side, how about that trailer for The Haunted Mansion?

I thought it looked like it had potential, I'd like to see another GOOD Eddie Murphy movie.
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Here I am catching up on something late again:) But seriously, I enjoyed this one a lot more than some of the other stuff I have seen over the past few months. I wholeheartedly agree that Johnny Depp was terrific and his performance really made the movie. But let's not overlook Geoffrey Rush, who makes a terrific villain (I really loved his performance in HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL). The only complaint I had is that the movie seemed to drag in a few places, but it was well worth sitting through and I'm glad I went to see it.

As for HAUNTED MANSION, the trailer looks interesting but we'll have to wait and see. I also think it would be nice to see Eddie Murphy in a great movie again. With the exception of BOWFINGER, I haven't really cared for any of the movies he has done since the first NUTTY PROFESSOR. And I don't even think I could be bothered to sit through PLUTO NASH....anyone else see that?
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]