As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Post by Remo D » Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:54 pm

I would imagine that I'm as loyal a fan of James Bond as anyone else who's even visited this board. Got all the books (including the non-Flemings), got all the movies (and yes, I even liked AVTAK), and am less concerned with whether it's Connery, Moore, etc. than that it's simply JAMES BOND.

So here comes XXX, and they're hyping it as a pretender to the throne, a "move over, 007" deal. Please. They took the entire Bond formula and had a blast with it using a character that could scarcely be further removed. Was Indiana Jones "threatened" by ROMANCING THE STONE? I think not.

And if you like secret agent films at all, you'd have to TRY not to have a good time with this one. It's funny as hell, it's completely, preposterously over-the-top (and spectacular) all the way through, you can't take a minute of it seriously, and it has Asia Argento. Fair's fair, though, Vin Diesel is perfectly cast and he more than earns his hype.

Last I checked, going to see this didn't automatically shut me out of the DIE ANOTHER DAY ticket buyers line. We do NOT have a new James Bond in XXX. What we do have is a perfectly enjoyable send-up (with maybe one or two explosions, as well).

Oh, and the "Bond-type" title sequence? Not till the end.

"This is wonderful Christmas ham, Christopher Robin... where's Piglet?"
--Winnie the Pooh's Holiday Special
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Post by Scott » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:02 pm

Couldn't agree with you more. Certainly not another James Bond, far from it actually. Has plenty of great action sequences, some funny one-liners, overall, an enjoyable film.

Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:02 am

Is it just me or does Vin Diesel closely resemble one of those pin heads from Tod Browning's FREAKS? Not that that's a bad thing.