Undisputed--Walter Hill is back!

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Undisputed--Walter Hill is back!

Post by Remo D » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:29 pm

Here we go, folks! This is the Walter Hill that gave you THE WARRIORS, THE LONG RIDERS, SOUTHERN COMFORT and my personal underdog favorites JOHNNY HANDSOME and TRESPASS. And most relevantly, it's the Walter Hill that reached all the way back to the bare-knuckles Bronson punch-a-thon HARD TIMES.

In other words, forget the misbegotten (and disowned) SUPERNOVA--the real deal is back in fine form.

You know the drill--Wesley Snipes is the inmate-for-life that dominates the prison boxing program. Ving Rhames is a recently convicted heavyweight champ (feel free to write in "Mike Tyson" wherever you like). So... who is THE champ?

The answers, of course, aren't that simple, but they're presented in a full-throttle Walter Hill concoction of blood, sweat and haymakers. Not enough? How 'bout Michael Rooker? How 'bout a Fisher Stevens you'd never recognize as the star of the SHORT CIRCUIT films?

And how 'bout the chairman of the board--none other than PETER FALK is there to steal every scene in which he appears as an aging, crippled, hysterically foul-mouthed--but still potent as hell--Florida mob boss!

This film is everything you want it to be. So naturally, it got "ghettoized" in my neck of the woods. If a certain film opens (even on two screens) ONLY in a certain remote multiplex, you can rest assured that the cast is predominantly black or Hispanic, and that the "pretty" areas here won't play the film. Sure, they'll play "safe" stuff like PLUTO NASH, RUSH HOUR, the high-profile Denzel Washington films, what have you. But something like this is left to fend for itself, apparently. And the national release itself? I noticed barely a whisper of publicity and only knew that the damn thing existed because I caught the trailer ONCE (and you know how many movies I see).

So--it's been practically stifled. But do what you must--go where you must--and see it. See it now.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:10 am

I'd heard about this one a little while ago and it didn't seem all too cool to me. I hadn't seen any trailers or anything so I didn't really know much about it except for fighting and prison.

What I didn't know what that it was a Walter Hill pic.

that changed everything.

I want to see it now, but it means driving down to Revere to this huge ghetto movie theater off of Route 1 to see it... and that's a bit of a drive.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]

Remo D

Post by Remo D » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:55 am

I want to see it now, but it means driving down to Revere to this huge ghetto movie theater off of Route 1 to see it... and that's a bit of a drive.

See? It's not just me!

Good Lord, distributors, I wasn't the only white face in the theatre and I survived, okay?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!