Mulholland Drive

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Latte Thunder

Mulholland Drive

Post by Latte Thunder » Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:04 am

I was pretty amped for this movie when I heard it was supposed to be a TV show originally. It was said to be a cross between Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet, the two projects that put Lynch's ass-kick quotient firmly in concrete as far as I was concerned. Then I heard it was scrapped by the network and he decided to make it a feature. Even better. It could now have that Lyunch grit that's too strong for TV.

Having seen it now, I can say that I liked it... but I'm still trying to figure out why. you can clearly see that it was supposed to be a TV show in it's first hour and a half as nothing happens more than a lengthy set up with some typically cryptic Lynch elements and red herrings. Everything comes together all at once in the finale which seems to go in every direction and only partially clears up any questions you may have had during the set up.

Watching this movie is like listening to someone tell you about the nightmare they had last night... but they can only remember pieces of it. They just know that it was deeply unsettling and nothing seems to relate to anything else.

Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks? No. A decent Lynch offering, though. Not quite up to par with his other features, though. It was nice to see the Garmonbozia dwarf in there, though.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]

violentm

Post by violentm » Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:03 pm

Rented this DVD tonight and noticed a frontal bush blur in one of the scenes. Upon further investigation apparently Lynch decided to put the blur in himself.

So now brings the question why film a pubic region if only to blur it later?? Doesn't make any sence to me.

Here is what I read about this issue from The Digital Bits:

Here we are on a balmy Saturday afternoon for a rare weekend post. A lot of people have been asking us about Universal's recent DVD release of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. So Todd wanted to address your questions about the disc:

Todd here. I just want to make two quick notes about Mulholland Drive. First, there are no chapter stops on the DVD. It's NOT a defect of the disc. Lynch has said in the past that films aren’t books and therefore shouldn't have chapters. His films will all be offered on DVD without chapter stops in the future. The old version of Blue Velvet is the exception, but that will be replaced soon. Second, there's the issue of the blurring of Laura Herring's nether region during the first love scene between Rita and Betty in Drive. I personally think it was done during the original theatrical printing and no one noticed. It's a very dark and quick shot - even my wife originally thought she saw something and when we went back she was shocked to see a quick blur. Even if it wasn't done theatrically and was done for the DVD, David Lynch himself said he did it personally and he did it to keep people from downloading and spreading the image online. On Lynch's own site he recently discussed the issue and when asked if the new Blue Velvet DVD will be censored as well (for Isabella Rossellini's full frontal nudity) he said no, because the technology wasn't available back then. Confusing, but I think with that statement he confirms that he did the blurring in Drive for the original prints of the film. As further fortification, I found a children's protection website (see this link) that notes an instance of "silhouette/shadowed nudity", and if they didn't catch full frontal nudity, then I believe it wasn't there..
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]

Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] » Fri May 03, 2002 6:59 pm

I pretty much had unlocked this flick by the time I finished my first after-movie cigarette ...which is more than could be said for LOST HIGHWAY. That twisted little movie's secret was only fully revealed unto me after considering this interesting Lynch quote:

"It's O.J. Simpson, Andy."

"What?"

"That's what did it," he says. "Think about it: I wasn't really aware of it at the time, but it must have been inspired by, subconsciously anyway, the O.J. Simpson trial. And how O.J. Simpson's mind had to be tricked, so that he could go out and play golf, rather than commit suicide for the deed he did."