Lord Of The Rings DVD's...

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

shawn

Lord Of The Rings DVD's...

Post by shawn »

I'm a real fucking GEEK when it comes to this movie series. Can't fucking wait for the Two Towers... Just picked up the collector's addition 5 DVD box set yesterday for about $60 and it was worth every damn penny. The behind the scenes making of stuff is unbelievable and the stuff edited back into the movie is great, and makes the movie even better.

Watch Lord Of The Rings as see how fucking BAD George Lucas' last two Star Wars pics really are. Lucas needs to check it out and see how it should be done...
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Man, I haven't had a chance to pick up the extended version yet but I did manage to suss out the first 20 minutes or so and oh my, they definitely add to the movie. I've found FELLOWSHIP's virtues shine and really cling to you with subsequent viewings so I'm really looking forward to THE TWO TOWERS (the latest trailer was nice).

If TTT follows suite, I'd say these movies are definitely of an exceptional story telling calibre that Lucas has lost or, indeed, never had. He should hire Lawrence Kasdan to write Episode III cos that guy gave Lucas his 2 best movies which piss and shit on everything else he's produced, when all is said and done.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Oh, I forgot to mention I was happy to see a brief cameo from Lionel's Mum early in the extended version, which justifies its existance alone!
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I'm planning on grabbing the extended version of FOTR after my next payday. I think I'll pass on the gift set and just get the 4-disc version instead as I can probably live without the statues and the National Geographic special (which IIRC is also available separately). The 4-disc set still looks like it will kick serious ass and just may be the best DVD of the year. I also think the inclusion of a free ticket to TWO TOWERS is a nice touch.

Say what you guys will about the last two STAR WARS movies, but I thought ATTACK OF THE CLONES rocked. Sure they may not be as great as the original trilogy, but they are still good in their own right (even if PHANTOM MENACE was somewhat lacking in the action department). And yes, I got the DVD's for both and they were worth every penny. Now if George will just hurry and get the original films out on DVD.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I finally watched Lord of the Rings the other day. It was pretty good, but man I had no idea that HOBBIT was so synonimous with FAG. I should've guessed it though. I'll still take Excalibur over this for Sword and Sorcery stuff, thank you.

I bought AOTC the other day myself. I quite enjoy the movie, flaws and all. Let us never speak of Phantom Menace again, though....
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

If I were to acquire the 4-disc FELLOWSHIP set, what do you suppose might happen roughly two years from now? Once the entire trilogy has hit both theatres and video?

Not a super-deluxe-once-and-for-all-definitive DVD set with extended versions of all three films, a complete replica of everything found in Middle Earth and a cast member of your choosing thrown in at no extra charge, perhaps?

Just joshing--but since that's a bit rich for me around the holidays especially, could you drop a few hints about what the extra footage involves?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Originally posted by Remo D

Just joshing--but since that's a bit rich for me around the holidays especially, could you drop a few hints about what the extra footage involves?

Remo, I haven't seen FOTR since it was in the theater (and I passed on picking up the first DVD release since I knew this one was coming out), so I wouldn't be able to tell you the differences until I watched both versions side by side. Unless someone else can answer your question, this information might do for now:

http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0120737

As far as price goes, I've seen the 4-disc set at places like Best Buy and Wal-Mart for around $30 or a little less. For the hard-core fans, the 5-disc gift set (which only adds the statues and the National Geographic special) runs around $60. But you can always ask Santa;)
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

As I understand it, this is not some superfluous whimsical half-arse (or assed, even) re-release of FELLOWSHIP designed to pull more dollars out of gullible chumps everywhere but a sincere alternative, longer cut that adds to the story rather than just padding it out.

P.J. is determined to let it be known that this is not a 'director's cut' per se but it seems as though if time constraints were non-existant, this would have been the version that originally played in theatres.

From what I've sampled, the additional material looks like a legitmate enhancement and I'll probably be picking up the 4 disc version this week, finally. And even if it is re-released in some jumbo version somewhere down the line, I doubt it'll include the 6 hours of documentary material that's included.

As for AOTC, I've got a copy waiting for me back home (with a special slip cover that WAS designed to pull more dollars out of gullible chumps everywhere) so I guess you can count me in as a fan of the film but, goddam, its got some of the most awkward scenes of any major movie, ever, and makes you wonder at times if it was directed by an amateur, its just that goofy.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Well, after viewing the extended version, I can safely say that, for me, this is the definitive version of FELLOWSHIP and indeed renders the theatrical cut obsolete. Quite simply, this is a better movie than the one we all saw in the cinema and can't imagine why anyone would want to deprive themselves of that greater experience - if they're a fan of the film, of course. I also can't imagine ever sitting down to watch the original version in its entirety again. That would be an unneccessary compromise.

I won't go into detail on the additions, they're too numerous to mention but chances are that if you thought FELLOWSHIP lacked in one department or another or that a scene or character didn't reach its potential, its been addressed in this version and improved. Strictly from a movie story telling stand point, mind you, since I haven't read the books (and wouldn't even consider it until I've seen the entire trilogy) so I couldn't tell you if the dwarf fisting scene has been faithfully reproduced or what not. That's not my business.

My only complaint? The Canadian version features that fucking cunt of a language, French, inside the booklet - soiling the elegance of its design. Oh well. I'll just pretend its Elvish or something.

As for the extras discs, they go well beyond the "This movie has more explosions than any other movie I've worked on" bullshit hype and thoroughly explore the process of preparing for the trilogy and making FELLOWSHIP. Its exhaustive, and exhausting, and will have you sitting there fascinated for as long as your aching buttcheeks will allow.

Remo, give your 2 disc version to some undiscriminating chimp for Christmas and pick up the 4 disc package instead. Without it, you really are missing out. Don't do it for me, do it for the kids.

Roll on, TTT.