The Karate Kid (remake)

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

The Karate Kid (remake)

Post by Remo D »

Okay, here's a title you may or may not have expected to see me weigh in on... on the one hand, it's not something I would have gone to see on my own (sure, I saw the original and its sequels, but even so, I waited for video in each and every case and this wasn't a "crucial" title of my youth, either)--on the other hand, it DOES provide a plum role for Jackie Chan--and the only Chan film I skipped on the big screen was THE SPY NEXT DOOR (which I STILL haven't seen and can't work up the desire to, either). The clincher? This was EXACTLY what my wife wanted to see for her birthday, so case closed!

Funny... back when RUMBLE IN THE BRONX first hit the States, I complained that a local paper referred to Jackie Chan as a "diminutive karate boy." Not only was the phrase demeaning and insulting--but it was completely inaccurate, as the Chinese Chan does NOT practice the Japanese art of karate! Now it's 2010... and while we've lost the "diminutive" and the "boy," some people just won't ever get it. Yep, we can't give up the hugely recognizable title, so now we have THE KARATE KID... without the karate! "Karate, kung fu, same thing" goes the sentiment. To that I can only roll my eyes and offer up the comparative cliche of "Whatever."

No need to rehash the storyline--it's the same, only it's been transplanted to China--allowing for much spectacular travelogue footage (which, nice as it is, contributes to a rather bloated running time). The remake is kind enough to avoid duplicating such specifics as "Wax on, wax off" and reinvents the traditional setpieces in its own way. So what--if anything--saves THE KARATE KID and makes it a remake worth doing... and worth seeing?

Everything you've heard about the two central performances is completely true. Young Jaden Smith truly IS a major star in the making--he takes a realistic pounding, earns your sympathy and excels in the art of "making peace," while the veteran Chan is simple perfection. It's a true pleasure to see him doing exactly what he should be doing at his age--granting us the benefit of his wisdom and experience without having to pretend to be the young superman himself... and proving that he's just as entertaining as he ever was. The elder statesman remains a true star, and the remake indulges him with all the character, personality and sympathy one could ask.

Bravo to Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan for transforming what could have been yet another misguided, pointless remake into something that's overlong, mislabelled... but still quite worthwhile.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!