The Girl Who Played With Fire

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Post by Remo D »

It's no surprise that the movie adaptation of the second part of the late Steig Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy has hit theatres so soon after the first (THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO): as you may recall, all three films were made back-to-back and, indeed, have already aired as a miniseries on Swedish television (so I wouldn't anticipate any acknowledgement come Oscar time). Word has it that the television versions were even longer, and I certainly hope that they become available to us in their original form. Nevertheless, this is another standout adaptation well worth seeing on the big screen.

New director Daniel Alfredson takes the reins seamlessly, and the power and intensity of Lisbeth Salander (as played by Noomi Rapace) remains undiminished--she's one of the best literary characters created in the past few decades, and her relationship with controversial Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist in the films) forms the basis for the trilogy... which has led to many exclamations of frustration over this second chapter, as the two characters are (necessarily) separated for its duration. Well, I didn't find that a failing of the book OR the movie. The first chapter concluded with mysteries solved and lives precariously saved, after which the two characters were supposedly free to go on with their own lives. But in the land of "things aren't that simple," Lisbeth's past does more than continue to haunt her--it goes on the attack. Lisbeth, who rarely needs (let alone wants) help with anything, is forced into hiding when she's framed for a triple murder... and only Mikael can clear her name--but how do you help someone who doesn't want to be found?

Sorry, but this set-up is far more interesting than would have been a typical sequel in which Mikael and Lisbeth team up and go crime-fighting together. Nor is it lacking in action or suspense--wait till you meet the seemingly-invulnerable Ronald Niedermann (as played by Mikael Spreitz). True--he's at least two parts Oddjob, but there's nothing wrong with that--he's one hell of an obstacle and is responsible for some truly gripping scenes (and quite possibly the best "jump" moment of the new decade... even better than the one where Jaws showed up in the train compartment in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME).

And what a treat to see Per Oscasrson (the Monster in TERROR OF FRANKENSTEIN) in action as Lisbeth's kindly, but stroke-disabled, former guardian!

It must also be pointed out that the hideously traumatic experience inflicted on Lisbeth in the previous film is referenced (though not quite as graphically) in flashbacks here--but it's the crucial and defining moment of the entire trilogy, as we will continue to see. THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE contains additional shocking and brutal material, but never does it come across as gratuitous or exploitative. When you reach the end of the second chapter, you'll be demanding the third (THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST) right away... and lucky you, all three books are now easily available (and highly recommended).
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

the book > the film

i was a little disappointed in the film adaptation of the girl who played with fire. noomi though is still so engaging so i'll let it slide :)

i felt that if people saw the movie based on just seeing the first film that they would be a bit lost...
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]