POM Wonderful presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

POM Wonderful presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

Post by Remo D »

While I was quite impressed with SUPER SIZE ME six years or so ago, I had no interest in Morgan Spurlock's follow-up documentary WHERE IN THE WORLD IS OSAMA BIN LADEN (nor did anyone even try to convince me that I should have been). But now Spurlock's back with a documentary that I knew I wanted to see well before it came out thanks to an irresistible premise.

This film came out just a BIT too early to capitalize on one of the most eye-rolling movie promos out there... 7/11 selling collector's Slurpee cups for THE HANGOVER PART II. Just before that, we could count on movies like IRON MAN and THOR to represent the phenomenon. Still and all: blockbuster movies become just that largely because of their massive cross-promotional campaigns. How does a tiny independent documentarian like Morgan Spurlock get a piece of that action?

THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD works as a refreshingly honest, amusing and unbiased documentary. It does NOT go in with the preconceived notion that advertising is "wrong" or "evil." It simply opens one eyes to exactly how it works, what it takes for it to come together in the first place, and what a filmmaker may have to sacrifice if he wants to see it happen.

We see that Coke, Pepsi and major fast-food chains won't have anything to do with Spurlock. We also hear an emphatic letter from Volkswagen stating that they will not be involved "in any way." On the other hand, Spurlock secures the sponsorship of (among others) Ban deodorant, Mini Coopers, Hyatt Hotels, Jet Blue Airways, Sheetz fuel and food stops, and, of course, the above-the-title beverage. He also consults powerful lawyers to see just what he is and is not allowed to say about his sponsors AND the competitors who turned him down. This leads up to what was, for me, the film's funniest moment: Spurlock arrives to refuel his Mini Cooper at Sheetz and happily states "Good thing I'm not driving a piece of shit Volkswagen!"

Along the way, Spurlock interviews such knowledgeable personalities as Noam Chomsky and Ralph Nader; film directors such as Peter Berg, Brett Ratner and Quentin Tarantino (who relates the story of how he always tried to open his scripts in a Denny's, only to be met with adamant refusal by the restaurant chain); and the most experienced and successful advertising developers in the business. We also get a visit to Sao Paulo, Brazil and see the effects of a recent act banning ALL outdoor advertising, and we wind up in a slashed-back school district that could really use some advertising revenue...

Since everybody reading this loves movies, and since everyone's perception of said movies has been massively impacted by advertising, this is one documentary we REALLY ought to watch--you won't regret it!
Chris Slack

Re: POM Wonderful presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

Post by Chris Slack »

Thanks for the heads up. I have enjoyed everything Spurlock has done (including "Where in the World..." and will be checking this out too :)