Gravity

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Gravity

Post by Remo D »

Ah... a fine high concept movie which doesn't need any sort of complicated plot description. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney end up as the only survivors of a shuttle crew working on the Hubble Telescope when they're hit by a storm of space debris stemming from the destruction of a Russian satellite. The voice of Ed Harris does what he can from Houston, which isn't much. The International Space Station and a Chinese satellite represent the only possible lifeboats. Survival adventure begins.

Yes, it's high concept, but let me assure you that director Alfonso Cuaron and his team have assembled what is almost certainly the most visually awesome film of its type. It simply MUST be seen on the big screen AND in 3-D to realize its potential... the spacescapes are dizzying, the effects are one-hundred-percent convincing, and you'll be asking "how'd they do that?" for quite some time afterwards. Nor do Bullock and Clooney have to work overtime to make themselves likable to the viewer--even here, you can't expect to sit through ninety minutes of nothing BUT special effects.

Okay, because it's Sandra Bullock, I suppose it's fair to invoke SPEED. And I can report that GRAVITY achieves that same breakneck intensity for over two thirds of its running time. And in one of those "it's probably just me" confessions, I have to admit that the obligatory pre-climax lull sent me into a brief attention "drift" of my own, and that I felt that Cuaron occasionally overindulged in the departments of sentiment and self-consciously "arty" moments that became just a tad intrusive at times. I had to say it because that's how those bits hit me... but by no means do they threaten the overall effect of this overwhelmingly effective white-knuckler. Why say anything else?
Chris Slack

Re: Gravity

Post by Chris Slack »

Great film and the best 3D I have ever seen. Definitely a must for 3D cinema viewing.