Ex Machina

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Ex Machina

Post by Remo D »

And here it is... perhaps our last breath of quiet, thoughtful science fiction before the summer blockbusters officially take over. Very kind of Universal to give the directorial debut of writer Alex Garland (28 DAYS LATER, SUNSHINE) a fair chance in a mainstream release.

Young coding genius Caleb (Domhnall Gleeson) works for the world's biggest search engine company (they call it "Bluebook" here). As the film opens, he learns that he's won the company lottery and gets to spend a week with his reclusive boss Nathan (Oscar Isaac) at his high-tech, isolated research facility. Caleb's new surroundings are awe-inspiring enough (the mountain scenery offers a sweeping contrast to the lavish but windowless residence), but Nathan (equally obsessed with high-impact fitness training and heavy binge drinking) proves quite the intense host no matter how he tries to put Caleb at ease.

Under the pledge of extreme secrecy, Caleb is introduced to Nathan's newest creation, Ava (Alicia Vikander), the current culmination of Nathan's research into artificial intelligence. Caleb has one week to find out whether the automaton (seen as a face and extremities separated by transparent machinery in a genuine marvel of special effects) can convince him that she has indeed achieved a fully functioning and independent conscience (including, naturally, the ability to love). And it isn't long before the innocent interrogation takes on a sinister tone... according to Ava, Nathan isn't everything he appears to be. Exactly who is playing who? It's no good asking Nathan's housekeeper Kyoko (Sonoya Mizuno), either--she can't speak a word of English (the better to discuss trade secrets openly, according to Nathan). But she certainly can dance!

If I haven't sufficiently intrigued you with this superficial description of EX MACHINA, well, I'm going to urge you to seek it out all the same. The more I tell you about the various personalities and the way in which they play their mind (organic and artificial) games with each other, the less compelling and startling this extremely Kubrickian blend of science fiction, drama, mystery and yes, horror will be for you on initial viewing.

Go.
Chris Slack

Re: Ex Machina

Post by Chris Slack »

Very, very good film. It kind of reminded me of the Korean film "Natural City" but it has been a long time since i have seen it so I could be completely wrong. Regardless I really enjoyed this one!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women