Ebert spells it out for you...

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Ebert spells it out for you...

Post by Remo D »

Let's let the man speak for himself. Here's a question from the latest "Movie Answer Man" column, followed by Roger Ebert's unedited response.

Q. During your recent appearance on Charlie Rose, you made the following statement: "If I laugh, I have to tell you it's funny. I went to see 'Jackass,' a shameful movie. I laughed all the way through it. I mean, I have to tell you that." This was a shocking thing to hear. I anticipated your review of "Jackass: The Movie," and none was given. Why did you not write a review and then specifically cite this movie in your interview?

Jeff Griffith-Perham,

Norwood, Mass.

A. In October more than 40 major movies opened, and I reviewed all of them, On two weekends in a row, I published 12 reviews. On Oct. 25, one of those weekends, I took a pass on "Jackass," but reviewed these films: "All the Queen's Men," "Auto Focus," "Bloody Sunday," "The Comedian," "Das Experiment," "Ghost Ship," "The Grey Zone," "Naqoyqatsi," "Paid in Full," "Real Women Have Curves," "The Truth About Charlie" and "Waking Up in Reno." Have I received one single e-mail thanking me for these reviews? Nope. Only complaints that I did not review "Jackass."

Okay, there it is. And all true, no doubt.

But does anyone notice that he never bothered to answer the question?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
ROBERT

Nope

Post by ROBERT »

No surprise to me.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
AchimbaProphet

Post by AchimbaProphet »

Forget that fat fuck.
"These gangs of bandits have sought to darken the light of the world" - Winston Churchill
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

ROTFLMAO!!! That old Ebert still at it again huh? Always good for a laugh. You know Remo, I think it would be funny to have you as a guest reviewer on Ebert's show so you two could duke it out over the merits of new releases. But seeing as you like POWERPUFF GIRLS, you'd probably be one of those adults that Ebert never hopes to meet;) Just a funny thought.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

>ROTFLMAO!!! That old Ebert still at it again huh? Always good for a laugh. You know Remo, I think it would be funny to have you as a guest reviewer on Ebert's show so you two could duke it out over the merits of new releases. But seeing as you like POWERPUFF GIRLS, you'd probably be one of those adults that Ebert never hopes to meet Just a funny thought.

Well, I've already admitted that much--the sad thing is that in "real life," I probably would have suggested that people wait for the video on the PPG movie myself--it works better in small doses. The trouble is, he went so overboard damning it to hell (yes, he compared it to terrorist activities) that I felt obliged to defend it just to spite him.

I'll never be a guest on his show--I've been trying to force an answer out of him for the last five years or so, and he quite simply refuses to acknowledge me. Long, polite letter regarding his review of THE BEYOND. Forwarded copy of Video Watchdog. Direct response to his request for clarification on the final line of dialogue in REIGN OF FIRE (and what it meant).

The man's not stupid, but he behaves like a coward at times.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Try using a phoney name next time, Remo. He probably screens all (electronic) mail for those he perceives as a threat to his unwavering superiority. No doubt you've made that list. Either that or divert his keen senses with chocolates.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

That last comment was a jab at his weight, not his wife.
ROBERT

Ebert and chocolates

Post by ROBERT »

Or maybe both.LOL
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento