Gangs of New York

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Griff [Mola]

Gangs of New York

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Better late than never. I guess.

So did anyone else catch this? Not the tremendous letdown I was prepared for but its moments of brilliance are indeed out numbered by its moments of convention and ultimately, nyeah, its pretty good. But not great.

I don't think I'll go into particulars here, I could be talking to a brick wall afterall, but Day-Lewis certainly shines while lovely Leonardo just can't compete. There's a healthy dose of violence to keep you distracted, though unforunately it looks like its been trimmed here and there by an undisclosed menace.

The real news is that its worth checking out, folks, and probably nowhere near as 'bad' as you've been led to believe. Its just that Scorsese's got a hellava lot to live up to and this one just doesn't quite make the grade.

Yup.

P.S. Two complaints about the soundtrack: Firstly, the use of a hip-hop-esque-ish drumbeat during the opening battle scene was a gross miscalculation, totally inappropriate and I almost left the movie right then and there. Secondly, at the end of the film, any reflection you may consider engaging in is rudely interrupted by another shithouse, innappropriate U2 yawn-fest over a lame post-film credits sequence. Block your ears, people, and head for the EXIT doors. Try not to trample anyone on your way out.
Rainbow Brite

Post by Rainbow Brite »

Daniel Day Lewis was the best thing about it. Make sure you go to a comfy theatre, its 3 hours long.

I think they could of made it more violent and a little shorter.
IMO