Mountains of the Cannibal Gods - AB vs EC

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
bruce h

Mountains of the Cannibal Gods - AB vs EC

Post by bruce h »

I did a quick side-by-side of Anchor Bay's Mountain of the Cannibal God to EC’s import version and noted the following:

- EC's disc actually seems sharper than it’s American counterpart (with the exception of the opening and closing credits, which I assume were taken from an inferior print - presumably to have them in English), but Anchor Bay's adds a slight bit of picture info to the top and right sections of the screen, is brighter and more colorful, is in generally nicer shape (EC’s print has many nicks and scratches), and is authored better (EC’s disc has some background noise in darker scenes). To be fair I didn't watch AB's release in 16x9 playback, this may make a difference in picture clarity for those of you with the right equipment.

- As far as extras go both discs contain nice stills galleries with pictures exclusive to each release. I prefer EC's selection (which consists mainly of lobby cards, posters, and video art from all around the world), but the AB disc has quite a few behind-the-scenes photos I hadn't seen before. AB's disc also has a well-shot and edited (but rather condescending) 13 minute featurette that'll probably rub director Sergio Martino the wrong way if he ever sees it, but at least it explained that baffling piece of optical shrubbery. Both DVDs contain the theatrical trailer and EC’s includes additional trailers for Lamberto Bava’s A Blade In the Dark and Ruggero Deodato’s House On The Edge Of the Park.

- I had long heard rumors that EC's disc was missing some Ursula Andress nudity which could be found in earlier video releases around the world, and upon comparison it seems these were, in fact, only rumors. The AB and EC DVDs, along with the old Dutch Video For Pleasure VHS release, all contain the same nude footage of our slumming former Bond gal. Another topic of controversy has been an additional cannibal attack sequence at the end of the film, which certain websites claim only exists on the rare Greek VHS tape. Again, not true. While the sequence in question IS missing from the Dutch VHS, it is intact on both the EC and AB DVDs. Anchor Bay actually goes a few steps further though, and restores two sequences not included on the Dutch tape OR EC DVD. First up is the much ballyhooed, never-before-seen cannibal sex, masturbation, and porcine rape sequence re-inserted from Martino’s personal print. A pretty wild bit, and I’m glad it’s been included. The next new sequence, which I haven’t heard anyone mention yet, is placed right after our cannibal crew chows down on the greenest snakes you’ll ever see. Our modern primitives bring Ursula the de-penised remains of her would-be rapist and insist that she dismember his body. Ever the opportunist, she uses this chance to instead cleave the tribe’s chieftain, an act to which his followers respond by giving her dirty looks. I’ll admit, not much to it, but it clarifies his disappearance.

So which do I recommend? Duh! EASILY the Anchor Bay release, which can be found in some stores for as little as $13. The picture looks nicer (if not as sharp as it should be), it has additional footage, and includes the Sergio Martino interview/featurette. It’s no contest. Completests may want to hold onto their EC imports for the superior stills collection, but if you’ve already bought the Anchor Bay release I wouldn’t recommend seeking out the import.
- bruce holecheck
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

I've got the EC disc, and if I could find the AB one for $13 like you said, I'd certainly pick it up. Sounds like a champ! Screw that Diamond release.

Just broke a promise to myself and ordered from Luminous again. I really want to see Versus and Cut-Throats Nine. Oh well, hopefully I won't get shafted again!
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

AB's Mountain...God can be found for $12.99 at Best Buy stores
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]