MAD MAX Special Edtion DVD

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
David Austin

MAD MAX Special Edtion DVD

Post by David Austin »

Picked this fucker up yesterday after work and I just gotta say - It's a keeper. Besides the joys of seeing it with the original Aussie soundtrack (for you completists, the laughable American dialogue track is available too), the film is definitely at its' best behavior visually. MGM's disc blows the old Image DVD away with vivid colors and much greater stability (Image merely did a transfer from their original LD; MGM went to the original negatives and did a new transfer).

The extras are spare, but sweet. Besides the 2 documentaries, there's an audio commentary with Jon Dowding and Dave Eggby, a few trailers and TV spots, a still gallery, and a trivia game of sorts.

After a year of putting out shitty DVDs with virtually nothing to offer, MGM is putting out some kick-ass stuff. Here's hoping for the best with their new Buckaroo Banzai disc and the upcoming Escape From New York SE.

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I hope the Aussie release of this (due April, apparently) features the American dub track as well. I've never heard it!
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

Once again someone writes about this DVD without mentioning my favorite xtra - Mad Max's Fun Facts Tracks (or whatever it's called) - a subtitle track that pops up every few seconds dishing out background info on the onscreen actors, locations, production days, pointing out continuity errors, special effects tricks, etc, much like a badass episode of VH-1's Pop-Up Video. A supplement I truly enjoyed. Buckaroo Banzai has one too, but I haven't watched it yet (although I have found 5 easter eggs so far!).

As for the rest of the Mad Max xtras, I thought the two documentaries were pretty poorly done - blandly shot and edited with a very limited scope. I'm glad they included the original theatrical mono tracks of the Austrailian mix and the US dub along with the 5.1 Austrailian mix, it makes the disc more complete and ends up making just about EVERYONE happy (same with the fullscreen version). Trailers and stills gallery were nice, I haven't listened to the commentary track yet.

Best Buy has this and Buckaroo Banzai on sale for $14 each.
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

It's about fucking time that this disc came out. I was a few days away from ordering the Japanese DVD until I heard about this release. I even got it for free, since I had a $50 gift card to EB. Yes, they sell DVD's now!! Also picked up the anime "X", hoping to watch it soon.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by Griff [Mola]:
I hope the Aussie release of this (due April, apparently) features the American dub track as well. I've never heard it!
My wife didn't believe me about that track. Then she came here and heard it. She was justifiably mortified

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

A Great inexpensive disc. I only wish the Australian soundtrack had the same sound effects as the American one. Better sounding car and bike crashes really go a mile in enhancing the film.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento