Ringu

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Ringu

Post by I am 138 »

I just saw Ringu for sale at Best Buy (for $28!!!!). I easily passed it up at that price. ANyone know if the sequel/prequel are slated for release? RIngu was put out by Dreamworks, so it woulda been cool if they'd done a box set with the original and the US version. I didn't see one, though.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Since Dreamworks are planning on a sequel to their remake, they'll probably suppress the release of the other RINGU movies just like they did the first one, especially since their sequel is meant to have nothing in common with RINGU 2. They wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea. I guess. At least they're not dubbing them in English and adding 'Turning Japanese' to the end credits like Miramax would, I'm sure.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

You can get the VCD of "Ring 2" for $7.99 at http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx?p ... on=videos&

Couldn't find the others though, no info about a US release at this time.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by Griff [Mola]
At least they're not dubbing them in English and adding 'Turning Japanese' to the end credits like Miramax would, I'm sure.

Too fucking right.

I have a DVD of RIngu 2, but it's a bootleg that appears to be from a PAL source and the bootlegger didn't manage to get the aspect ratio right. Fucker. It's the Unit World "label," which may be who put out those Lone WOlf and Cub discs of yours, Chris.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Did you get that Ring 2 boot from that Stiller guy on Ebay? Just curious as that's who I got the "Shogun Assassin" disk from.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yep, that's the guy. I guess he presses the Unit World discs himself, but I've gotten them (on accident) from other people. Stiller has an...interesting reputation as a dealer. Oddly, Sigourney Weaver is, or was, a client of his. To prove it, he posted up an order from her, which also contained an address. Class act.

Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Originally posted by I am 138
It's the Unit World "label," which may be who put out those Lone WOlf and Cub discs of yours, Chris.

Hey, are these the Unit World discs of the Lone Wolf and Cub flicks? Are they any good?

http://www.dvdtop1.com/index2.php?fol=d ... &Cat=Japan
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

They appear to have the Unit World logo in the lower left corner. I don't have the Lone Wolf DVDs, but Chris told me that they sounded like they had a similar ratio problem to my Ringu DVDs. Essentially, I'd be aware of things from a PAL source (like Lone Wolf) and not too worried about NTSC ones (like Battle Royale probably is). I have a Unit World release of Magnificent Butcher, bootlegged off the MegaStar disc, and it's fine.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

My copy of "Shogun Assassin" (USM012)doesn't say Unit World anywhere on it, whoever did the pressing and the cover tried really hard to make it look like the R2 PAL Vipco release.

I *think* they may be printed in Mexico, I found this wholesale list on Google that listed a bunch of USM*** numbered DVD, including the Star Wars movies!

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:GE ... n&ie=UTF-8
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

The Unit Worlds are very nicely put together. In fact, the reason I have the UW Magnificent Butcher is the guy I bought it from mistook it for the genuine MegaStar. I didn't notice anything off about the release while playing it, either.

The two Ringu films still had the Tartan Extreme tags written on them. I also have Junk, but haven't watched it, yet.

I want to know more about that Fist of Legend DVD on that site you listed...hmmm.

----

edit: I guess I never will know, though, as the e-mail listed just bounced back at me. Fucker.

I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

If you're interested in the actual series, I'd wait. Just found this:

LONE WOLF & CUB DVD RELEASE!

According to sources at Animeigo, Sword of Vengeance, the first of six films in the Baby Cart Assassin film series, is to be released by late February of 2003, with the other films scheduled to follow. Animeigo's quality treatment of these Lone Wolf & Cub films on laserdisc & VHS was superb, so we look forward to some high-quality DVD packages & transfers.

http://www.mightyblowhole.com/lonewolf/news.htm

I was actually looking for info 'cause I thought that some of the PAL discs were cut, but this is worthy news, too.

Remo D

Post by Remo D »

FINALLY saw it, and am glad that I saw it on a nice, domestic DVD.

Naturally, the remake spoiled the story for me (not to mention adding all that horse crap to the mix), but RINGU was still quite effective and I'm sure I'll enjoy the followups.

Oh, and much better ending in the original... a nasty twist that they just couldn't bring themselves to use in the States!

But you'd do the same... wouldn't you?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Rich

Ummmmm, I hate to say it but.....

Post by Rich »

....The American Remake was much better, I'm talking ten fold and I hate to admit it but it was! More suspence, more scares, more visuals, more atmosphere, better make-up, just better everything, this original was a let down to me, sorry to say it. The remake had me jumping out of my seat and this one bored me quite a bit, maybe a case of too high expectations? On another note, I hate to say it but I liked Red Dragon better than Manhunter as well, another instance where the remake beats the original. Just a matter of personal taste.
Sister Khaos

Post by Sister Khaos »

Is Ringu better then the original as far as story line goes or is it completely the same?
As I watched the Ring i kept seeing another story line that I really wanted to see, but it seemed to go another way. If anyone has Ringu on DVD for sale, respond. ;)
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

There are differences. The remake had all that stuff with the horses. The original had more people with psychic abilities. Each had some merit, but I wasn't overwhelmed by either. Ringu 2, however, I really like.

Ringu

Ringu 2

The Ring

Sister Khaos

Post by Sister Khaos »

I need to get them both then. Is anyone selling them both on DVD?
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Not in one package, you have to buy them separately. I got mine at BestBuy the week they came out.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Do you need the original and the remake, or two parts of the original series. For awhile, there were bootlegs of all three Ringu flicks selling in bundles. Of course, I assume they all had the same problems that I had with my copies, but if you can get 'em at like $10 apiece, they're okay.

Ringu is overpriced at BestBuy, I think it's going at Costco for like $20. I can't remember how much The Ring was there, though.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by I am 138
Ringu is overpriced at BestBuy, I think it's going at Costco for like $20. I can't remember how much The Ring was there, though.

Hell yes it is! Fortunately it was 20 bucks there the first week it was out :)
Sister Khaos

Post by Sister Khaos »

I like the sound of the bundle with all 3, I might check out Ebay. I think I woudl like the original for now though. ;)

Thanks guys.