Toxic Avenger II

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Toxic Avenger II

Post by I am 138 »

Does anyone have the "director's cut" DVD? I'm hesitant to get it, because I bought the VHS when it first came out, and it turned out to be the old R-rated version. Is there anything different, or is the "unrated" bit just a scam? I know Troma likes to put "director's cut" on everything, even if the director's cut was the only thing available, so want to avoid having to return Toxie II again because it's packaging is misleading. Thanks.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
AC
Forum Newbie

Post by AC »

Not sure about Toxie II but there is a huge difference in the 'R' rated version of Toxie I vesus the Unrated version.
AC
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yeah, there is. But there's no difference between the new "Director's cut" and the old unrated version...at least none I could spot. I'm just warry of Troma's "director's cuts" after those two titles.

------------------

bruce h

Post by bruce h »

from what i understand the DVD is the same old "R" rated cut. I have a japanese prerecord of the film and i can attest that a lot of gore is missing from this version, making it essentially worthless.
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Stupid false advertising Troma bastards!!!

------------------

ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Lloyd Kaufman will be at the premiere of Citizen Toxie,(in my city)this weekend. You can bet I'll bring this up with him.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

You can also ask him why the fuck he took so long to put Cannibal: The Musical out at sell through? What the hell was he thinking??? And why is Rabid Grannies still cut?

------------------

ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

To make more money with Cannibal, of course.People might actually buy it at full price, if they have to wait awhile. As for Rabid Grannies it's yet another reason to put out another version of Grannies. At additional cost to the consumer.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yeah, but everyone just held off on Cannibal, waiting for it to hit sell through. On top of that, video stores (at least around here) wouldn't touch it because it was so old and still cost so much. It wasn't such a good marketing strategy, though maybe it worked better in other parts of the country.

Is anyone buying the cut Grannies DVD, either?

------------------

ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I don't know about everyone.I did catch sight of it, in a few videostores.Kaufman probably figured it had such limited appeal, he might as well maximize the price.As for it not being a good marketing strategy, it did get us talking about it. Maybe it was. We don't have Troma's sales figures here.

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I don't really know, you might be right. I do know that several video stores were petitioned around here to carry it when South Park hit big (thus no longer making it limited appeal) but only one ordered it because the movie was several years old and was still very expensive. The only stores that had it here were huge stores that got it when it first came out. It may have worked well for 'em in other regions, though, and I'm just being an grudge holding, misinformed idiot.

------------------

Bad Feeble

Post by Bad Feeble »

About the TOXIC PART 2, Kaufman even said it himself that it is a cut print (the R-rated one). It is supposed to be really uncut on its next release in the box set. Probably separately also. I wonder how they'll call this thing now... The "real" director's cut?

Anyhow, CITIZEN TOXIE fucking rules!
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I don't blame you for holding a grudge 138. How many of us have waited for the definitive version of a film, and been disappointed,in some way?

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yeah, and Troma are a pretty dodgy company, anyway. Like I tried to contact them about the "unrated director's cut" VHS of Toxic Avenger II, got one response from their webmaster that he'd look into it, then never heard back. A friend had trouble with a Cannibal The Musical DVD and got absolutely no response. But the main reason to hate them is they released Seargent Kabukyman...ugh.

------------------

I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by Bad Feeble:
It is supposed to be really uncut on its next release in the box set. Probably separately also.
Any word when that will be released? I didn't find anything at Troma. I saw that part three is coming in April, so will a box set coincide?

------------------

Bad Feeble

Post by Bad Feeble »

It was supposed to coincide with the release of the third one on DVD but now, I'm not sure. They might wait for the home video release of the kick-ass fourth one in the series. If so, it should be release around the end of the year or a bit earlier!