A.I......best movie of the year

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Darth Tanner

A.I......best movie of the year

Post by Darth Tanner »

I also managed to take in A.I. the other day and I should say it was a lot better than SCARY MOVIE 2. Although I had heard many negative comments, I managed to avoid any spoilers since I wanted to be surprised and form my own opinion. This is indeed one of the best movies I've seen all year. Don't be put off by the fact that Spielberg tried to tackle a project by Stanley Kubrick. He actually does a decent job here while remaining faithful to Kubrick's original vision. As with other Spielberg films, the acting is incredible. Haley Joel Osment gives a powerful performance and does a much better job here than he did in THE SIXTH SENSE. Jude Law also steals every scene he is in with his portrayal of a robotic gigolo (and guardian angel to Osment). I would definitely like to see these two get Oscar nods [even winning would be nice]. The story is also filled with clever nods to earlier Kubrick films (such as 2001 and CLOCKWORK ORANGE). The special-effects (as well as the sets) are quite remarkable considering their obviously CGI origins. My only small complaint is that the ending was drawn out by too many false conclusions. Aside from that, this is a very well-made film that I knew nothing about but walked away quite pleased with.

I should also warn beforehand that this is very different from any other Spielberg film, so don't walk in expecting the usual stuff. Spielberg has made a very dark fantasy that manages to be thoughtful and emotional. While I still think SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and SCHINDLER'S LIST are better films, this one undoubtedly ranks as the best of Speilberg's fantasy films. And I put it high on my list of "must-see movies" for the year. Don't let the negative criticism put you off. Definitely check ouy A.I. and avoid all spoilers beforehand. Those with the patience to sit through the 150-minute running time will find it quite a rewarding experience.

[This message has been edited by Darth Tanner (edited 07-07-2001).]
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Alright. This is going to sound really lame, because I can't put a finger on it but I hated this movie. I mean, I really really disliked it. I can't quite understand why I didn't like it, but I felt a little like I'd been jerked around for two and a half hours. A solid complaint that I have is that David was supposed to be a perfect mimic of a boy. His behavior was supposed to be something like a real eleven year old kid, but his actual behavior was so extreme and weird that it didn't mimic human behavior much at all. Also, the ending really bothered me. They could have left him where he was when it fades to black the first time (people who've seen it know what I'm talking about) and it would have made a much greater impact than the cop-out ending that they went with. I also think that leaving the sentimental all is right in the world ending would have tackled the subject of ethical complications of creating throw-away people.

It isn't without it's merits, though. The special effects are outstanding! Rouge City is one of the most amazing sets I've ever seen in a movie. Manhattan was also something to behold. Not to mention most of the mecha scavengers. The scene of them salvaging the dump bore an eerie resemblance to Night Of The Living Dead. Jude Law ruled. Gigolo Joe was extremely cool and completely not what I was expecting in his role. He never breaks character! He's always on the prowl for "business" even during his scene at the flesh fair. Fantastic! Haley Osment was also pretty good, though I think he's a pretty weird actor. Could be, though that in both roles I've seen him in, he's not your average kid (6th Sense, AI).

One last comment. Did anyone else think that the Teddy Bear made for a really bizarre kid's toy? The thing was supposed to be entertaining and all that, yet it's voice was somber and morose. It kind of creeped me out.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Flesh Cutter

Post by Flesh Cutter »

This movie sucks, just like the one who called it the best movie of the year!!!!

The best movie of the year is uncontestably...REQUIEM FOR A DREAM!!!!
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I'm with Latte... except for the "hate" part. For the most part, I was quite surprised by how much I actually liked this movie (yes, acting, sets and effects were all utterly top-drawer), but we parted company at the exact same moment. The film should have ENDED with the first "ending." The story and characters are so convincing that anyone who's caught up in it would just have to agree that there's no other logical ending to the story--you'd have to FORCE it to go further, thus damaging the overall effect--and that's what happens here. Ah, yes--trying to tell a SAD story but trying to spare the feelings of the viewer at the same time... there's the rub. The point is that there is NO magic--only science, and there is NO way that David's state of existence could ever change--unless we throw humanity completely out of the picture, thus losing the point entirely. Unless I miss my guess completely, the source material had nothing to do with "visitors."

Oh, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM? I agree that it was one of the best films of LAST year. Can you imagine trying to graft an even slightly optimistic ending onto THAT one?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!