Ichi the killer

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Ichi the killer

Post by I am 138 »

There's a new R0 DVD making the rounds, and it appears to be ripped from the Chinese disc. Is this worth getting? Just what is cut? Will this release be acceptable til a longer version gets released?
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Not sure about the R0 one but the people at Scarecrow are selling a R3 Universal DVD of it and swear up and down that it's uncut. Before I even consider plopping down the bucks they want for it I hope to find out!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

The R0 one has a listed runtime of 115 minutes.

The IMDB lists Ichi's runtime as 129.

MAYBE it's just rate of transfer stuff, but I'm guessing they ARE cut, and the R0 is probably bootlegged off the R3 one.

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

138: I've seen a VCD rip of the R0 DVD and it's so cut up that it's not even worth watching. It's so badly chopped and done without any sort of finesse. As a matter of fact, it's almost a cruel sort of editing where they show you what's about to happen and then suddenly, in a single jarring cut, go right to the aftermath. For instance, a scene where Kakihara is torturing a yakuza boss. He's microseconds away from pouring hot oil all over the guy, CUT! and suddenly Kakihara is surrounded by other Yakuza, his own boss freaking out and the torturee is passed out in the background. This sort of shit happens throughout the movie.

I mailed poker industries and asked if they would be getting the R3 (even though I can't watch it) and they said they wouldn't. The scheduled, official release of Ichi is going to be R2, uncut and unsubtitled... So all of us Gaijin are shit out of luck if we want to watch it AND know what's going on. Unless someone does a fansub or something.

It's too bad. I was REALLY looking forward to this one.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
ROBERT

ICHI

Post by ROBERT »

The version I saw at The Toronto Film Festival was 128 minutes.That's the version on the Japanese PAL disc,without eng subs.This one is the uncut version. Anyone that says otherwise is a fucking liar,including Scarecrow. They can't GIVE the Universe R3 version away,up here. Chinatown is full of copies.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

So the real question becomes: Does someone have an uncut copy that's got english subs? And if so, are they interested in a trade? From the sound of things, I think everybody really wants a copy of Dinner With a Vampire, I can trade for that :)

Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

Originally posted by Chris
Not sure about the R0 one but the people at Scarecrow are selling a R3 Universal DVD of it and swear up and down that it's uncut. Before I even consider plopping down the bucks they want for it I hope to find out!
The Universe R3 disc is definitely cut. Don't waste your money.

Scarecrow is a great place, with a great selection, but some of the people there... deserve to be Ichied. And their prices suck.
Valgamon

fuck... too late

Post by Valgamon »

I bought the R3 DVD from Poker Industries only to find out after the fact that it's cut. Sucks to be me, I guess.
ROBERT

R3 DVD

Post by ROBERT »

Don't feel too bad. A few looks at other forums, and seems a lot of people bought the R3,thinking it was uncut. I had my doubts when it was released theatrically in Hong Kong in a cut form (13 minutes). When I inquired to a film programmer friend who deals in Asian films he stated that the R3 DVD will almost positively be cut, I posted the info on a certain board. A couple morons criticized me for it. Saying until it(the DVD) comes out I have no business posting said "rumours." Sorry if some of us are better informed.Not to mention trying to help. Fucking tards.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I just heard that the guy who is selling The Ring is also doing an R0 UNCUT DVD for Ichi the Killer. Should be ready in about 2 months!

PECKER{*x*}WOOD

Post by PECKER{*x*}WOOD »

I saw this a few weeks back at my friends video store, which is another great film from Takashi Miike. From what I remember there appeared to be no cuts (missing scenes), so I'm going to have to ask my friend what DVD he has got. I should be meeting him in the next few days, so expect an answer by the end of the week. If his DVD turns out to be the cut version, then I suggest that u spend your money on other things until a better version comes out. Its still a rather new movie, and there is always hope that someone with common sense will release an uncut version.

Ah, it feels good to be back:)
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Go figure.. I finally get an all region player and people start bootlegging all the movies I want to see for R0.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard Media Blasters were working on a DVD release...
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I checked their site real fast, didn't find it. THey're doing Vistitor Q (which may already be out) and have acquired Versus.

PECKER{*x*}WOOD

Post by PECKER{*x*}WOOD »

I found this while doing a search for Ichi+killer+dvd:

"URGENT NOTE: This version of ICHI THE KILLER has been cut by approximately 13 minutes from the uncut version (115 minutes versus 128 minutes). At the time of this writing (07/05/02), there are no announced plans for an uncut, English-subtitled version of this film on DVD. Speculation has Media Blasters releasing an uncut version in 6-12 months. The uncut Japanese version will be released on 07/25/02. HKFLIX will not carry this DVD due to price concerns, and the fact that the DVD will lack English subtitles. There will also eventually be a U.K. version, that is said to cut severely by the BBFC (British film censors). "

They are talking about the region 3 verion of Ichi, and here is the link where I got the info from:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2550/qx/details.htm