Cherry Falls

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Valgamon

Cherry Falls

Post by Valgamon »

I loved Romper Stomper, so I decided to give this one a chance. I just picked it up on a double-feature DVD (with "Terror Tract"). Before I tear open the shrink wrap, is this one worth keeping, or should I opt for the Spanish DVD with the longer running time?
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I actually found this one to be pretty enjoyable, must be that Aussie charm...

From the IMDb:

The movie had to be re-cut five times in order to achieve an R-rating. Most significant cuts include:

graphic sexual activity during the climactic orgy sequence;

The death of a character named Annette The originally scripted scene showed her having her throat slowly pushed onto a pane of glass. The scene was filmed and very brutal, done all in one graphic cut. However, she shot was later replaced with her character's head split open in the front door. That scene was still trimmed heavily. In unrated versions the top of her head erupts and a splash of blood flies across the doorjamb.

Rod's death had more blood.

Timmy's death was an on screen kill that featured gruesome spurting blood.

A character's death at the climatic orgy was nixed for time and MPAA constraints. A male character's throat was slashed open.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

my brother is going nuts trying to get me to watch this movie. according to him it's the best slasher pic in a very long time.

I'm wondering if there's an uncut version going around.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

Justin Kerswell (creator of the excellent HYSTERIA website) reports that the Spanish DVD has "a running time of 100 minutes." I have no idea where you can buy a copy, though.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=d2623da913820680,3

Check out HYSTERIA while you're at it!!
http://www.south-over.demon.co.uk/
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

This film was pretty good, for a teen slasher. I'd say we should wait for a more complete version. Or find out more about the Spanish version.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Wow, I saw the double feature DVD and thought it was pretty underwhelming, personally.

If you want to see it, I'd hold out for a cut with more gore.

Mike B.
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

CHERRY FALLS was actually filmed around the area I live (Richmond, VA) and I was really looking forward to seeing this on the big screen since everything I read about it seemed promising. Then the MPAA ordered all the cuts and this ended up going straight to cable instead. I was really bummed, but settled for seeing it on the USA Network. I actually thought it was pretty decent for the most part, considering what still had to have been removed for the network showing. I wouldn't call it the greatest movie ever (or one of the greatest horror films of last year for that matter) but it is still better than your average Hollywood sludge. It is really helped by an attractive cast, a decent script, and some enthusiastic mayhem. I have not yet rented this on video or DVD, so I can't really comment on those. But I would love to see this movie in it's "fully intact" form. As I recall, the video/DVD release is supposed to run around 92 minutes or so. If anyone finds out anything about that "100 minute" version, please let me know.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I got to see this last night. I must say that I thought it was much better than the usual slasher fare but it certainly didn't live up to the hype surrounding it. This movie sat on a shelf for nearly a year and people told me how great it was and that it needs to be seen. I thought it was pretty good, but certainly not something that needed to be seen.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
violentm

Post by violentm »

Well went to the old vid store the other night. Had to rent three films for a deal they had going on so I picked up this film. I thought it was crap. I’ve read a lot online where people love it, but I saw nothing in it. Had to sit up and watch it cos I kept falling asleep. Bleh!
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]
Rich

Post by Rich »

I enjoyed Cherry Falls and maybe you should watch it again Violent Maniac but I agree its not a milestone of slashers or anything. It does have a lot of slow mowing parts but Jay Mohr is fantastic as the psycho and I love the premise of all the teenies trying to get laid to save their pathetic hides. It was good to see Micheal Biehn in another role as well. I'm amused at the part where the lead lady helps Mohr take an oversized trunk into his house and drop it down the stairs and the chick says something like "God, that was heavy, what's in it" and Mohr replys "your father" hehehehehe, funny shit if you ask me.
violentm

Post by violentm »

There's no way I could sit through that fucker again. It was hard enough the first time around. I felt raped. I thought Jay Mohr was a big fag, and nothing more then a sad joke, to tell you the truth.

I just have no interest in these teeny slasher films. I enjoyed Scream more.
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]
DCH

Post by DCH »

I'm pretty sure that, despite the packaging saying otherwise, the Spanish version is exactly the same as the R1 release. It's certainly the same as the R2 UK one and runs about an hour thirty, not 100min.