Cabin Fever... I have NOT become Ebert!!!!

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I never got to catch 70s gore flicks at the drive in (or in the theater for that matter) and I enjoyed CAbin Fever. It wasn't the best movie I'd ever seen, and reminded me a bit too much of Evil Dead (and the ending was just silly). But it was a fun bit of Grand Guignol.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by I am 138
I never got to catch 70s gore flicks at the drive in (or in the theater for that matter) and I enjoyed CAbin Fever. It wasn't the best movie I'd ever seen, and reminded me a bit too much of Evil Dead (and the ending was just silly). But it was a fun bit of Grand Guignol.

That's because you have taste :)
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Steve Dallas

Post by Steve Dallas »

Originally posted by Griff [Mola]
Oh, so you've even got a problem with the how the fucking blood looked? Take a walk, little man, and comeback when you've got a shred of objectivity...

Hey, if your standards are that low then good for you. But when someone is trying to represent blood, they should make it look like BLOOD! Seems sensible to me. I'm specifically referring to the "blood" spewed inside the truck. I've seen films with a WAAYYY lower budget in which the blood looked more realistic. Wake up! Stop fooling yourselves. I know everyone is simply struggling to justify the money they wasted on this trash. There are dumber movies that are "better".

"OBJECTIVITY: n : judgment based on observable phenomena and uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices."

It is clearly "observable" that the blood looks fake. I am not "emotionally" attached to cinematic blood, but when I put money down I want it to appear as though some effort went into a certain degree of realism.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I know everyone is simply struggling to justify the money they wasted on this trash. There are dumber movies that are "better".

Yep, you got me. After twenty years of writing reviews and calling them as honestly as I saw them, I finally cracked and decided to lie about liking CABIN FEVER. Don't know what got into me. I wish to apologize to all the fine folks at Mortado's for my unwarranted act of deception.

And after wasting money to see that trash on the big screen, God help me, I did it again buying the DVD. But I DO have a justification for that--since I get to review the movie for Watchdog, I can get paid back for the disc...

...but my LIFE! How do I get those precious hours BACK?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Hey, until 'bout 20 years ago, fake blood almost never looked good on film. I guess you can take everything from THE WILD BUNCH to DAWN OF THE DEAD and soak them all in a big bucket of piss for commiting such heinous sins.

I get it Steve, you hated the movie, but I think you're being a little irrational when you just HAVE to damn each and every point FOG made. I mean, you made some pretty damn lame retorts there, big fella, in the name of spite.

Didn't notice any phoney looking blood myself and I figure K.N.B. would probably have that shit figured out by now. Regardless, the blood could've looked like liquid shit to me and I wouldn't give a fuck. I dug the movie and I'm thankful for that. That's another notch for good times.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by Chris
That's because you have taste :)

If only I could convince Jackie of that...

Lots of movies have stylized or unrealistic blood. Like Bad Taste, the best movie of all time (just ask DylanDog). Or Street Trash, which is not.

The blood inside the truck actually SHOULD look lighter because it's a spray, though.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I don't see an argument here. You either liked it or you didn't like it. The people who liked it, myself included, are pretty cool about it, but the people who didn't have a seething fury about their contempt for Cabin Fever. They're minutes away from "OMG D00d CABIN FEVAR IS TEH WURST MOVEE EVAR!!11"

Really, you don't have to debate someone's opinion of a movie like you're going to change their mind. If anything, you only come off like a serious dick.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Hey, ain't nobody trying to change anybody's opinion here. But like you say, there's just some opinions out there that are pretty extreme - and, in my opinion, not worth a damn because of it.

As I recall, Robert, Valgamon and a few others here had a totally dignified negative take on Cabin Fever that didn't rely on petty sensationalized gripes for justification. And that's alright by me.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just got done watching it and wasn't too impressed. I'm sure with more alcohol and the right group of friends this thing could be a lot of fun but it's far from the best thing I've seen recently.

I sensed that the director was pulling from a lot of influences. Of course, '70s drive-in, Evil Dead, the first few F13 movies, but Badlamenti music and thanking David Lynch in the end credits make me think he likes the "weird for weird's sake" sense of filmmaking (i.e. Eraserhead), hence "pancakes" and the bunny suit. My problem is that those things seem out of place. Weird is fine, but are you making a horror film or a weird film? For some reason those weird things didn't work.

And another thing ... the harmonica down the guy's throat? That was just stupid.

That's my two cents.

Take care everyone!

-Matt
"I'm so bad I kick my own ass twice a day."
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Just watched this the other day. I enjoyed it quite a bit as if nothing else it was done in the right spirit. But I was really disappointed in the ending. It's one thing to be influenced by other films, but flat out stealling an ending is pretty shitty. And I agree the harmonica bit was lame as hell. It's definitely worth a rental, but I don't know that I would buy this one. Unless maybe I got a really good price on it.

I doubt there is any connection, but I was reminded of an old issue of 3D Twisted Tales in which a guy with a skin disease (might have actually been a leper, iirc) is shot by some rednecks and falls into the towns water supply. I always thought it was a cool way to sort of get revenge after death.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I thought the harmonica bit was funny as hell... then again, I'm a retard.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]