Club Dread

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

Club Dread

Post by Remo D »

Yeah, I know, "Broken Lizard" wants the name above the title. But I don't care to do that. In my area, I guess people don't even go see Broken Lizard movies--I was practically alone for both of them.

I didn't even bother reviewing SUPER TROOPERS for you, even though I saw it--it was a mildly amusing comedy and I didn't mind sitting through it. Now here comes their take on the slasher film, which puts it in our territory.

I wonder if this was actually written as a serious slasher film first--believe it or not, for the most part, it doesn't play particularly "spoofy," and the gore gags are played remarkably straight (they're not bad at all, actually). It would only have taken a little tweaking to add the parody material, and it doesn't even threaten to go over the top until the last fifteen minutes or so. So how much you like this will probably depend on how much you like slasher films--SCARY MOVIE this isn't. But Bill Paxton is a lot of fun as "Coconut Pete"--just don't ask him to play "Margaritaville."

Just a few notes:

A. Calamari is SQUID, not octopus.

B. When you spoof the "too many endings" bit, it can be just as tedious as doing the "too many endings" thing for real.

C. If you liked Jordan Ladd in CABIN FEVER, you must, repeat, MUST check her out here. Wow.

D. If you have any interest in seeing this at all, then you'd better hurry--it's bombing HORRIBLY.

Another "just for the record" post--now let's bring on the real horror films, shall we?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Why do you put yourself through such suffering man? Save the bucks and put it towards a DVD!
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Why do you put yourself through such suffering man? Save the bucks and put it towards a DVD!

Who said I was suffering? As for the "why?" I'm a historian. I want to be thoroughly up to date on the horror films hitting the big screen so I can write about them. Even if I "know" something's going to be bad, I won't call it bad until I've actually given it a fair chance--nobody's gonna play "gotcha" with me!

Besides--when I find what I consider to be an underrated gem, I can make a pre-emptive strike and request to be the one to review it for Watchdog... just to make sure it gets a good review SOMEWHERE in print.

This is who I am--this is what I do.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Originally posted by Remo D
Who said I was suffering? As for the "why?" I'm a historian. I want to be thoroughly up to date on the horror films hitting the big screen so I can write about them. Even if I "know" something's going to be bad, I won't call it bad until I've actually given it a fair chance--nobody's gonna play "gotcha" with me!

Besides--when I find what I consider to be an underrated gem, I can make a pre-emptive strike and request to be the one to review it for Watchdog... just to make sure it gets a good review SOMEWHERE in print.

This is who I am--this is what I do.

Touche', very good point my friend.. In fact, I think you've made an excellant point!
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I loved SUPER TROOPERS and I'll think you'll find its got quite a following. I'm looking forward to this one but I fear it may go straight to video in these parts if thing aren't going too well for it at home.

"Enhance... enhance... enhance..."
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I really enjoyed "Super Troopers" but thought "Club Dread" just plain sucked. Apart from Bill Paxton it was just boring, hardly any laughs at all. My girlfriend and I were the ONLY people in the theater...
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Scott

Club Dread

Post by Scott »

I really liked Super Troopers, I have it on DVD and was really looking forward to Broken Lizard's next outing. I was surprisingly disappointed. I really thought they could pull this off, it felt like they tried too hard. Some decent gore, but not the laughs like Super Troopers. It tries to dance the fine line between a serious horror film and a spoof. The last movie I can think of that pulled that off was The Burbs. It had an advantage including a cast of characters (Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Rick Ducommun) and a seasoned director in Joe Dante. Club Dread really doesn't have either. Bill Paxton is a bright spot though as Coconut Pete. All in all, not a good movie, but not a total stinker either.

I still have hope for Broken Lizard. Hopefully, they can put this one behind them.
Chris Slack

Re: Club Dread

Post by Chris Slack »

Originally posted by Scott
The last movie I can think of that pulled that off was The Burbs.

Funny you should mention this, I got it from NetFlix today and will be watching it tonight, it's been years :)
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women