Shockumentaries & Reality Series

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Seattle Death Metal

Shockumentaries & Reality Series

Post by Seattle Death Metal »

I've seen several of the movies/series listed below but not all. Im a big fan of the real stuff, pretty much due to morbid curiosity. I wanted to become a forensic scientist once. Anyway, Im wondering, if those of you who have seen these movies, on a scale of 1-10 which are the best/weakest. If you are bored, please list the various volumes of each and rate those. Or just rate the series as a whole.

Traces of Death Series

Beyond Bizarre

The Strange & The Gruesome

Autopsy Series

Faces of Death Series

Death Scenes Series

Paramedics Series

If you have some along the lines of the above or better please list those also along with your rating.

Im building a home collection. :)

AMZ
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

I've seen the Faces of Death series, but I don't remember specific volumes. It was pretty shocking, but you couldn't turn away from it.
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Okay..

Faces Of Death The first has an ambience to it that really gives you the creeps. While it's still debatable on whether or not some of the sequences are indeed real and not fake has yet to be truly understood. From what I do understand, the "electric chair and head decaptation scenes" had been arguably faked. While the director was sued because the interview he had with an "assaisan" along with the police footage is real. I would reccomend this one.

Faces Of Death Part 2 On a personal level this one had the most chilling sequences of all and I'm pretty sure this wasn't faked . It was a sequence with a man standing on top of a buidling threatening suicide. When the police and firedepartment show up people start to gather and watch from below. They actually start shouting and encouraging him to jump, that was pretty shocking.

As for the others in these series, from what I recall a lot of the other sequels further down the line are redundant, picking up bits and pieces of all further sequels.

Traces Of Death This is probably the most realistic and offensive. I don't recall all that much about the series itself but do remember but 99.9% of the footage was taken from news stories and police videos. Some scenes are quite graphic while other's are just simply "there". What makes this series so offensive is they actually went as far as having a "host", with his back turned to the camera dressed up in cheesy eighties like metal gear. He spoke with a raspy voice and "warned" you and introduced you to what you were about to see. He also made a few dum comments here and there. I believe this was the first of the S.O.V "Faces Of Death" rip-offs. They're sequels also appeared very redundant.

Death Scenes Kind of a re-hash of "Traces" but with a twist. A few grissly scenes sprinkled here and there.

I'm not quite sure which Autopsy series you're reffering to. I do understand that the shit they sell at conventions; the one's that arent't pre-packaged with relentless over dubs and "hosts" are the closest you can get to the real thing.

If you do a search on Google for "Autopsy Videos" you're libale to find what you're looking for. In fact, I wish I had the link, there's a company thats put out three really INTENSE direct to video productions within the last four years, if I find it, I'll send it to you.

Can't comment on the others since I haven't seen them. I'd personally reccomend the first and second Faces of Death and randomely rent a few Traces (since they seem to be the most gory) just remember, the higher they get up on the sequel chain, the more footage they re-use, so they have tendency to get redundant.

Hope this was some help... Happy hunting.
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
Seattle Death Metal

Thanks for the info!! I've seen all of the ones you mentioned and I agree with you. All of the videos I posted can be found in the store at rotten.com so you can see which Autopsy series Im referring to. What im not sure about is if it's the same series that was on HBO or not. That one was pretty cool but not extremely gorey.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I haven't been able to get into the true death flicks for a long time now, I got to wondering how I would feel if I saw a friend or relative commiting suicide on some public domain video footage and decided I was done with them.

For something different try an older "shockumentary" called "Africa Addio". It was recently re-released on DVD along with the other films of Jacopetti/Prospero. While it's more of a true documentary (it deals with the chaos during the uprisings after the colonials left Africa in the 60's) it's got some seriously brutal stuff in it. The music from Riz (Cannibal Holocaust) Ortolini adds a lot to it, it was composed to go along with the on-screen activities in a fashion similar to the older Disney animated films. The cinematography is often very stunning with scenic vistas and beautiful sunsets. I like things such as that much better than the ones cobbled together from various sources.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Demolition Hammer

Post by Demolition Hammer »

I saw "The Worst of Faces of Death" quite a while back, and it is disturbing and cool. The doctor who host the thing is hilarious, cause everytime he says the word 'death' his eyes get huge.
I have to return some videotapes.

Fallen Angels new CD "Rise From Ashes" available now from [url=http://www.metal-on-metal.com]Metal On Metal Records,[/url]. Visit our Myspace page [url=http://www.myspace.com/fallenangelsthrash]here[/url] for samples.

[url=http://www.tulalipchampionshipwrestling.com]TCW - Tulalip Championship Wrestling[/url]
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Another one that I should have mentioned is Shocking Asia while I haven't the foggest idea if this is on DVD or not, it certainly was one of the most bizarre "shockumentarys" I've ever seen.

That sex change operation and penis festival (I kid you not) both shocked and freaked me out... Strange place to live.

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I've never really liked the Real Death movies. I used to get them randomly in tape trades, so for someone who doesn't like them, I have (or used to have) a lot of these tapes.

Traces of Death is probably the most brutal one I'd seen. The death metal soundtrack that went with all of the Traces movies adds to the dread, but this is some downright brutal stuff. It's all newsreel footage of people getting fucked up.

Faces of Death is, for the most part, bogus. The animal killing scenes are real, and that led to it being banned in a lot of places, but the scenes where people die are mostly faked. I'm sure there are a few scenes on those tapes of someone actually getting killed, but shit like the electric chair sequence and the cannibal cult are completely faked. That's just not how an electric chair execution goes down and it's so badly faked.

Death Scenes is at least a little bit interesting with Anton LaVey (I think that's Death Scenes 2, actually). It's mostly forensic photos from various violent crime scenes and the most horrific part of it has to be the section about child victims. It's not something I'd ever want to watch again.

I'm going to second Chris and Stypees comments about the "documentary" movies. They have a good deal of shock to them, but it's not all wall to wall brutality. Shocking Asia is really cool and I always wanted to see the sequel, but I could never find it. Also worth checking out, and also on DVD now are a ton of the Mondo movies. Mondo Cane is still a really weird movie after all these years.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Originally posted by Latte Thunder
I've never really liked the Real Death movies. I used to get them randomly in tape trades, so for someone who doesn't like them, I have (or used to have) a lot of these tapes.

Traces of Death is probably the most brutal one I'd seen. The death metal soundtrack that went with all of the Traces movies adds to the dread, but this is some downright brutal stuff. It's all newsreel footage of people getting fucked up.

Faces of Death is, for the most part, bogus. The animal killing scenes are real, and that led to it being banned in a lot of places, but the scenes where people die are mostly faked. I'm sure there are a few scenes on those tapes of someone actually getting killed, but shit like the electric chair sequence and the cannibal cult are completely faked. That's just not how an electric chair execution goes down and it's so badly faked.

Death Scenes is at least a little bit interesting with Anton LaVey (I think that's Death Scenes 2, actually). It's mostly forensic photos from various violent crime scenes and the most horrific part of it has to be the section about child victims. It's not something I'd ever want to watch again.

I had no idea Death Scenes had Anton LaVey in it. That would have been interesting, that dude had some serious issues.

I was going to mention the "Mondo" series but I'm not sure if you can rent them seperatly or not. I'm also not sure if this is what you might be looking for since MONDO CANE focuses more on the weird culture shit. I guess your best shot would be to try NETFLIX. So hard to believe that the title song from MONDO CANE was nominated for an Oscar and is played at weddings. You might also want to check out BRUTES AND SAVAGES, haven't seen but heard it's supposed to have some demented shit in it.

I'll see if I can find that website with the "new" death shockumenteries on them. The clips on the site alone are repulsive.

I'm going to second Chris and Stypees comments about the "documentary" movies. They have a good deal of shock to them, but it's not all wall to wall brutality. Shocking Asia is really cool and I always wanted to see the sequel, but I could never find it. Also worth checking out, and also on DVD now are a ton of the Mondo movies. Mondo Cane is still a really weird movie after all these years.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I bought the Mondo Collection box set a few months back, great shit!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Seattle Death Metal

Sweet! Thanks for the recommendations.

I dont get off on the real stuff or anything, I just find it all very fascinating. Anything involving animal abuse or torture I cannot deal with. I always fast forward through the monkey brains and burning pig in, what was it, faces of death?

I love horror movies but nothing scares me anymore. The real shit is all that comes close.
MuC

Post by MuC »

faces of death 4 has a kool drawn and quartered scene...:)
[url=http://www.myspace.com/dissonance]dissonance[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/pillbrigade]pill brigade[/url]

ABORTION KILLS!!!! isnt that the point?...i love [url=http://www.bountyhunterinc.com/]bounty hunter[/url]

...with glowing pride I'll wear my scars...I'm honored by your hatred...

M-u-C...see you real soon...
Demolition Hammer

Post by Demolition Hammer »

Originally posted by chicknatas design
Sweet! Thanks for the recommendations.

I dont get off on the real stuff or anything, I just find it all very fascinating. Anything involving animal abuse or torture I cannot deal with. I always fast forward through the monkey brains and burning pig in, what was it, faces of death?

I love horror movies but nothing scares me anymore. The real shit is all that comes close.
In the Faces of Death vid I saw, the monkey brains part was the only thing that really disturbed me. It was much more horrific to watch than a bear ripping a guy apart.
I have to return some videotapes.

Fallen Angels new CD "Rise From Ashes" available now from [url=http://www.metal-on-metal.com]Metal On Metal Records,[/url]. Visit our Myspace page [url=http://www.myspace.com/fallenangelsthrash]here[/url] for samples.

[url=http://www.tulalipchampionshipwrestling.com]TCW - Tulalip Championship Wrestling[/url]
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Originally posted by Demolition Hammer
In the Faces of Death vid I saw, the monkey brains part was the only thing that really disturbed me. It was much more horrific to watch than a bear ripping a guy apart.

I forgot about that infamous bear scene, that's like one of those things that isn't funny but kind of is because that guy was such an idiot.

Seattle Death Metal

I always enjoy seeing those photos of the aligator they cut open and found a man inside. He was all blue. That was sweet! Dont mess with animals!