SW Ep2 teaser trailer (digital first look)

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Griff [Mola]

SW Ep2 teaser trailer (digital first look)

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Okay, if you get the chance to check this out in the cinema, on tv, the internet, whatever... take a good look and tell me: am I the only one or does the digital video image Lucas is using LOOK LIKE SHIT?!

Naturally, its not noticeable in the effects shots but only some of the others, particularly the first two of Amidala and then Annakin, well, it looks like some rich kid's home movie (ooops).

Seriously, the quicktime video I downloaded is very sharp but it also looks very, very cheap. Like daytime TV or something.

Couldn't find the images I was looking for but here's a reasonable example. Check out the bright lighting effect. It reeks of wedding video:

Check it out in full motion and let us know what you think. Hopefully they run a few filters to make it look film-like but if not, and it goes out looking like this, I think they've made one huge fucking mistake.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I don't know. I thought the teaser looked pretty good. We'll see how it actually looks when a final posted cut comes down. If you ask me, the DV had a depth and sharpness I hadn't really seen so far in any of the DV cam movies I've seen that are out.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Griff, that's EXACTLY what I've been telling Star Wars geeks(and filmmakers) for a fucking year. I've seen films shot in HD 24 Progressive transferred to film and via a video projector. HD on film(and video)STILL looks like video,albeit with a wider dynamic range.(And Grain on film) HD version 2.0 is rumoured to be far better. Lucas, at present,should have stuck with film.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
izcor7471

Post by izcor7471 »

i loved the trailer it looked cool i cant wait to see the movie.. too bad i have to wait a long ass time... i just love ewan macgregor Image

------------------
there is not love only proof of love
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I'm afraid I've been a little niave, Robert, and just assumed that this new format would somehow emulate the look of film. Not the case. I wonder if mainstream audiences will unconsciously find the look distracting once its released, even if they've never heard of American Cinematographer. I imagine there will be quite a reaction from the filmmaking community, however.

As for the movie itself, the trailer does seem promising but well just have to wait and see.
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I actually saw the teaser last Friday when I saw MONSTERS, INC (good movie BTW). A longer trailer is supposed to be shown with the Harry Potter movie next week. But this Friday, lucky owners of the PHANTOM MENACE DVD (such as me Image) can get a sneak peek at the trailer from a special STAR WARS DVD website (the link is only available on the DVD). Can't wait to see it.

Based on the teaser, this does look like it will at least be a little better than PHANTOM MENACE. The scene with Boba Fett flying looked cool along with his new uniform (although I understand he is called Jango Fett in this movie for some reason). The effects and everything look good considering their obvious CGI origins. Hayden Christensen looks like he will make a good Anakin. The lighting thing in that one shot didn't really bother me a whole lot.

I'm personally starting to warm up to the title ATTACK OF THE CLONES now that I've seen the teaser. But I still think the name of Christopher Lee's character is too goofy....Count Dooku. I just can't say it without keeping a straight face. Reminds me of Count Chocula for some reason Image
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

Griff - I've seen some pretty decent DV movies. It all depends on what camera you're using, and more importantly the lighting. If ol' Georgie is overdoing the lighting, it will indeed reek of home video. But if you use the right camera (the Canon ones produce some excellent results) it looks great. Seriously.

Allan.

------------------
"Smoosh the fishy on the bready boardie!" - Swedish Chef
"I pitched the WB a show where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was stupid! And that I was stupid too! And let me tell you something. There's nothing stupid about a teenage rabbit teaching good hygiene! NOTHING!" - Space Ghost.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I certainly have nothing against DV, I actually believe its a godsend. However, I think aesthetic is most important when considering its application and for a project like STAR WARS, I reckon the look of film is especially paramount.

Okay, flag that example above. Check out these two pics. Sure, they're sharp, well-lit and composed but to me they just don't look right. They don't look like film (duh). Hopefully its something I'll easily get over when I rock up to watch EPISODE 2 or ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO...

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

so this new Fett character. Is it Jango Fett or Django Fett? I understand that Lucas is a Spaghetti Western fan and it would be pretty cool if he added that little homage.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

They look kinda like British sitcoms used to. I hate Phantom Menace...so goddamn racist. George Lucas is a sheep fucker, no offense Muncher.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

Dude, how am I supposed to take offense to that? I'm an Aussie, not a New Zealander.. Image

Allan.

------------------
"Smoosh the fishy on the bready boardie!" - Swedish Chef
"I pitched the WB a show where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was stupid! And that I was stupid too! And let me tell you something. There's nothing stupid about a teenage rabbit teaching good hygiene! NOTHING!" - Space Ghost.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yeah, but most American's don't even know there's a difference. Hell, most Americans don't know the difference between Australia and Britain. Just thought it might make you laugh.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]