Begun, this Clone war has.

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Griff [Mola]

Begun, this Clone war has.

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Alrighty, I guess due to the time difference, us Aussie folk had the flick officially open here a few hours earlier than in the States. I thought I'd get in there and see it before any more spoilers were inadvertantly revealed unto me.

I think its pretty much a given that ATTACK OF THE CLONES (a title I've grown to adore, by the way) pisses in the armpits of THE PHANTOM MENACE and then some.

Its got a few of the same problems: clumsy dialogue, an over-reliance on political hogwash instead of genuine story and character momentum, boring exposition, juvenile humour, cheesy CGI enviroments that don't feel even remotely real and a contrived romantic subplot thrown on top. Shamefully, John Williams' score is just a rehash of his previous themes thrown together with a new uninspiring ballad that has nothing on the Han and Leia number from EMPIRE.

It will, however, make your jaw drop to your crotch. Its a huge, huge movie, that really transcends its faults adequately enough to deliver thrills, chills and decap kills. If you like Star Wars and can't find anything at all to cherish in this movie, then you're not a Star Wars fan, you're probably a Star Wars nerd (and a bitter one at that).

Christopher Lee is wonderful, Yoda is even better. That's all you need to know really, if that. Its Star Wars.

See for yourselves and share your thoughts.

Griff.

P.S. My tip for Episode III: Put some stars into these Star Wars. I wanna see some outerspace dog fights, full scale.

[This message has been edited by Griff [Mola] (edited 05-15-2002).]
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I just got home from seeing it and I couldn't agree more. Sure, the movie has it's faults, but it has restored my faith in being able to enjoy a Star Wars movie again.

In addition to Christopher Lee and Yoda being awesome, that Natalie Portman alone is worth the price of your ticket. Damn, that girl is fine.......

------------------
""E" stands for energy, yo that's me,
I'm a brilliant scientist and a dope MC.
Before you step to me I'd think twice G,
I'm the Lord of Chaos, King of Entropy."
-Stephen "MC" Hawking

[This message has been edited by DylanDog (edited 05-16-2002).]
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I saw it last night with 18 of my friends and I just sent out a big email with a list of the good, the bad and the ugly. It goes a little something like this:

Good

Yoda.

Django Fett was the shit!

Christopher Lee is the fucking man. Between Dracula, Saruman and Dooku, I'm ready to declare him the master of genre entertainment. His sabre style is also very cool.

Jedi rule.

The Clone Army was just incredible. The final battle sequence is just so absolutely amazing.

The entire movie is huge and a lot more grown up than it's prequel.

The Bad

The Love story. I didn't like it one bit. It's just a plot device to explain Luke and Leia.. but it was really weird and very sudden. Anakin is practically stalking Padme and then suddenly she loves him! What?!?!

C-3PO

"I have a bad feeling about this."

The Ugly

Sympathizing with Jar Jar Binks. Nobody liked him... but did they have to blame the fall of the Republic on him? I mean... everything that is to come in the next four movies is ALL HIS FAULT! I felt bad. I can't explain it.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
shawn

Post by shawn »

For a differnt take...

Attack of the Clones fucking sucked. Period.

No better or worse than the Phantom Menace. Both fucking BORING. And the sad thing is I love the first three, grew up with them. But Lucas has completely lost the magic.

Watch Star Wars or Empire again. The difference is you actually CARE about the characters. And the action scenes are exciting and thrilling. You are on the edge of your seat, the action works.

In Menace and Attack of the Clones, that Characters are nothing more than cardboard cut-outs in some fucking lame computer generated landscape (excuse my spelling, I'm lazy today) Even the bad ass battle at the end of Clones, is fucking boring. Its like watching someone playing a video game. It is fucking WEAK.

Lucas needs to watch Lord of the Rings and Jackson's upcoming sequels and see how its done.
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
violentm

Post by violentm »

spoilers.

------

I really enjoyed the film. Saw it yesterday and today a friend took me along for free. Sure, the romance was stupid, the humor was cheese, and the CG was inconsistent, but I liked the story and the action scenes. And of course Yoda! He had to be the best CG integrated character mixed with live action I have ever seen. I was reluctant at first but CG Yoda came through.

I hated Phantom, but this one came through with the goods for little ol’ me. Now Mr. Tanner I’m interested in what you have to say about the film…..

[This message has been edited by violentm (edited 05-17-2002).]
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I absolutely HATED Phantom Menace. Attack of the Clones was considerably better.Still,the script had MAJOR fucking problems. BAD,BAD dialogue.People actually laughed outloud at Annikan and Padme supposed romantic scenes.They brought down the film.Very unconvincing and stupid.The CGI action scenes did look a little fake in parts.But were ambitious in scope. Overall the film is entertaining.I found the political supposition a little tiresome.It's not a return to form, for Lucas, but a liked it, better than I thought I would.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Well, I saw this today and have to say it's much better than Phantom Menace, simply because it's not throwing constant racial stereotypes at the viewer.

CG Yoda seemed stupid to me til the end, when it became obvious why he couldn't be a puppet anymore.

C-3P0 and R2 work better than the rest of the cast combined.

Ewan McGregor did a much better job imitating Alec Guiness' accent this time.

The love stuff was the stupidest thing ever.

Okay action movie, but I woulda prefered to have the original series re-released theatrically again.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
FOG

Post by FOG »

I enjoyed it actually.

I was worried, I thought the Phantom Menace was probaly one of the worst movies I had seen whatever year it came out.

This one was much better simply because it had the element of EVIL.

SPOILERS

My favorite part was easily the part where Anakin slaughters the sand people and comes back and talks to whatever her name is about how sick it was. that was awesome.

Otherwise I think Griff's review pretty much covers all of the same things I would if I werent this lazy.

Really really really sad, unecessary effects though. C-3PO was funny for a minute too and then it just got retarded. But anyways

I kinda want to see it again. I think the other thing they are going to need to remember for the next movie is to set some sort of boundary where situations don't become so ridiculous that absolutely no one can relate to them (lets put it this way - drop the C-3PO cartoon thrown into the middle of the movie for no reason whatsoever)

There will be no room for another kids movie or half kids movie next time. Part three needs to be completely and relentlessly EVIL.

[This message has been edited by FOG (edited 05-19-2002).]
Let's ask him, what's the deal?
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

SPOILER

What I want to know is why R2 can fly all of a sudden??? I agree the C-3P0 stuff was a bit silly (I wouldn't go so far as to call it far fetched, as almost everything in Star Wars is...like Anakin and Amadalia's love interest...already pretty unbelievable. Remember, they're all aliens, so they can do anything) but all his bad puns were things he said not knowing what was going and without realizing the connection between what he'd said and what was going on, so it still kinda worked for his character. It wasn't the character making bad jokes, it was George Lucas.

------------------

[This message has been edited by I am 138 (edited 05-19-2002).]

FOG

Post by FOG »

I thought some of the C-3PO stuff was funny

until the machine picked him up and started swinging him around.

It looked like an animation. Not computer animation, but an actual cartoon. A C-3PO intermission cartoon. Those monsters in the arena looked horrible too, and for fucks sake, when anakin was surfing on the back of that slimy buffalo thing in the valley where they had their picnic, that was the worst example I have seen so far in my life of CGI effects.

Ridiculously unecessary.
Let's ask him, what's the deal?
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Sorry for being late for this topic, but I have been busy with moving this weekend. I caught ATTACK OF THE CLONES on opening day and totally enjoyed it. I'm one of the few who enjoyed THE PHANTOM MENACE, but I thought AOTC was much better. The action scenes, better acting, and characters all made it worthwhile. Count Dooku and Jango Fett were indeed two badass villains. But I think the most cunning villain has to be Palpatine (aka Darth Sidious), who uses sneaky methods to obtain total power. He will indeed be a force to be reckoned with in Episode III. I don't know what else to say what hasn't already been said. This movie is a blast and is definitely worth seeing. I do have to agree with Shawn's comment though that the prequels just don't have the same feel as the original movies. But I think it is doubtful for Lucas to work the same magic twice. But as long as the movies are decent I don't mind.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
bruce h

Post by bruce h »

If these are supposed to take place "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" then why the fuck does this new trilogy continue to make retarded references to Earth culture? The original trilogy succeeded because they created an environment totally unto themselves, but what do we get now? Fucking 50's diners with robot waitresses. Hardy fuckin' har. These Americanisms HAVE to stop.

My take on CLONES? Too much melodrama, too many lame characters, and a whole lotta plot takin’ up a whole lotta time. It seems like the new characters are simply bad parodies of the old ones. Anyone else notice how the best characters in this new series are the ones that are left over from the original trilogy? It was nice to see the guy from ONCE WERE WARRIORS as Django Fett, and Natalie Portman is hot. The last 20 mins or so were nice, but it’s a ton of build-up for an over-reliance on CGI. Sometimes a small model makes a big difference.
----------------------
[b][SIZE="3"][url=http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/]Cinema Arcana[/url][/SIZE][/b]
[i]Knee-Deep in Cinemuck![/i]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Granted, that diner business was stupid. I thought I was watching The Jetsons. The flying cars didn't help, either.

Not as bad as the two-headed commentator from Ep 1, however and thank fuck for that.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by bruce h:

Anyone else notice how the best characters in this new series are the ones that are left over from the original trilogy? It was nice to see the guy from ONCE WERE WARRIORS as Django Fett, and Natalie Portman is hot.
I totally agree about all the good characters (let alone "best") are from the first trilogy, hence my enjoying C-3P0 so much...but I definately understand the problem with his inclusion becoming cartoony.

I also thought it was great to see Jake the Mus again.

------------------

violentm

Post by violentm »

My guess for the long running time on this one is because Lucas needed a longer film to cover up for all the decapitations and violence in it. If the film cut out a lot of the melodrama crap then it probably wouldn’t of gotten a PG rating cause the MPAA would of looked at it as mostly violence.

I’m with Bruce on the whole 50’s Diner sequence. I know Lucas wants to make another American Graffiti type film but jesus keep that for American Graffiti 2! I also hate the “Sound Of Music” sequence however I did kinda like the way those Nurfs looked when Anakin wasn’t riding them.
[i] [color=white] I wish the dead could come back to life you bastard cause then I could kill ya again.
[/i] [b] -- Let Sleeping Corpses Lie [/color] [/b]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

does anybody remember when rumors started circulating about this movie? There were originally three Fetts, allegedly and the one to be named Jango was originally called Django. I know Lucas digs Spaghetti Westerns... I'm wondering if this is the origin of that name.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Violentm... sorry, but it's too late to save anything for AMERICAN GRAFFITI 2, remember? And I doubt there'll be a third!
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Originally posted by Remo D:
Violentm... sorry, but it's too late to save anything for AMERICAN GRAFFITI 2, remember? And I doubt there'll be a third!
Remo, are you referring to MORE AMERICAN GRAFFITI? I would be surprised if anyone else actually remembered that movie. I saw it on television about 12 years ago, but I'd be damned if I could tell you anything about it other than it took place during the hippie/Vietnam era and it featured many of the characters from the first film. Sitting through it just made me want to go back and see the original AMERICAN GRAFFITI again. That sequel was a huge mistake if you ask me.

------------------
"This sucks on so many levels"! - JASON X
------------------
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I don't think I have a single thing to contribute here that hasn't already been said, but for the record...

When it works, it's still great fun. Enjoyed the flying car chase, the asteroid field and even the "gladiator" business. I liked most of the business involving Obi-Wan and his investigation of the missing planet and the clone army. But I (along with everyone else) cringed whenever it went back to Annakin and Padme--yep, the dialogue is truly that horrendous. A piece of me dies every time I think of it...

Christopher Lee is always welcome, and it's great to see him in two smash hits in a row (even if his characters are awfully similar). And nice try to give some profound back story to Boba Fett... but what's the point when we all know they're just going to drop him down a monster's gullet in a throwaway moment in JEDI? The list goes on, but you all get the idea.

So I officially join the near-consensus--better than PM, but not up to EMPIRE.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!