Spiderman????

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

shawn

Spiderman????

Post by shawn »

So did any of you see this yet? I was suprised that I didn't like it. I really wanted to like it but...

It looks good, it sounds good (except for Elfman's shitty-ass score), I thought the characters were great and the actors did an excellent job. The story was fun ect...But when it came down to the action scenes everything fell FLAT. The action was weak, boring, and things were just to "easy" for Spiderman. He just "walked" through the fights... The action was fucking horrid. Sucked.

I have friends that agreed with me about the action, but still liked the film, but for me the action ruined it...

Interesting side note. I was talking to Bob Murawski (the editor) a year ago and he said that Sam was watching a bunch of action films to get ideas while shooting action for Spiderman... I thought to myself, thats cool... Then Bob told me that Sam really liked the action in Tomb Raider and my heart sunk... So this explains it... Hopefully he checks out Blade 2 before he starts shooting the next Spiderman.

So am I an idiot? Did you guys like it?
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
Failed Zombie

Post by Failed Zombie »

The UK doesn't have Spiderman out until June, I think, so I'll have to wait...

Wasn't Bruce Campbell supposed to be Peter Parker? Maybe I was wrong. I'm not up-to-date with all the facts regarding this stuff.

------------------
Zombie cum. It doesnt breed.... IT KILLS!!!
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Haven't seen this one yet, but I plan to this week. Was it really that bad Shawn? From the previews it looked like it would be a fun movie. Tobey Maguire is far from my favorite actor, but I couldn't imagine anyone else better for his role. Willem Dafoe sounded like an interesting choice for Green Goblin (but why did they give him a cheesy metal outfit?). Plus you get to see Kirsten Dunst semi-nude (I'm assuming that was still in the movie since I saw it in the trailer...please tell me it was!) How bad can the action be I wonder. Oh well....I'll see it eventually and post my thoughts on it afterward. I can't be too hard on Sam Raimi's hollywood films though, except for maybe LOVE OF THE GAME. After all, I got to see Katie Holmes' tits thanks to him Image

Call me lame, but I still think ATTACK OF THE CLONES will kick SPIDER-MAN'S butt (and maybe even PHANTOM MENACE) based on what I've seen and heard about it so far. We'll see in less than two weeks Image
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
shawn

Post by shawn »

It didn't completely suck. Like I said, in my opinion, the only thing that brings the movie down are the action scenes. I just found them boring... But I'm probably crazy, because EVERYONE else likes it. -shawn

T.Luster

Post by T.Luster »

I liked SPIDERMAN. I thought it had a good story. It could've had more action,but I rather liked that the film took time-(like the first hour) telling Peter Parker's story. The actionm was exactly what I expected,and I enjoyed it. I'm sure the next two sequels will be better,in terms of having more action.

I think the first BATMAN movie and THE X-MEN were better films,but that's just my opinion.
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I finally caught up with this one and enjoyed it as well. The acting, direction and story were all first-rate. Tobey Maguire perfectly fit the role of Peter Parker/Spider Man IMO, as did Kirsten Dunst as the love interest. But the highlight for me was Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin. He really made the movie for me. The special effects were also amazing without any bad-looking CGI. As for the action scenes, they seemed pretty decent to me even though I have seen better. Then again, at least this movie doesn't "borrow" stuff from THE MATRIX like every other movie seems to do nowadays. In short, this is a fun movie that is definitely worth checking out and I am looking forward to the sequel.

On a side note, I also got an advance ticket to see ATTACK OF THE CLONES next Thursday. I'll certainly post a spoiler-free review afterwards Image
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
shawn

Post by shawn »

I figured I missed the boat on this one. I just can't get into the "super hero" thing. Although I thought Superman 2 was cool. But for my money I'd rather see another Blade movie then another superhero flick...

Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Shawn, I'm basically with you on this one. SPIDER-MAN is good fun, but it's no better than a hundred other mega-hyped "event" films we've been forced to wait for. I preferred DARKMAN, myself. (Raimi seems to have borrowed a page from the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN and the Tim Burton BATMAN rather than look back to his own work in the field.)

Loved the Goblin, of course--but the action, while not what I'd call "shitty," simply wasn't special, original or innovative. I wouldn't knock the cast at all.

Just one thing made me groan... and it wasn't the obligatory nod to pro wrestling, either.

(MILD SPOILER)

It was Peter's confrontation with the hood that killed Uncle Ben. Too easy--he trips on a pipe and falls to his death. Hell, even the CARTOON had a more satisfying bit where Spidey looks him directly in the eye and says "This is for the MAN YOU KILLED!" before punching him full force across the room (whether he'd actually killed him or not was left up in the air).

Of course, see SPIDER-MAN--I wouldn't suggest otherwise. Just don't expect the most popular film, etc, etc, etc, to be the absolute BEST.

------------------
"Nya-nya, nya-nya, nyahh-nyahh... I made you eat your parents!!!" --Cartman
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Finally saw this. It was interesting that so much of the story came out of that original short story about Spider-man. I agree that some of the action left a lot to be desired (as did Dafoe's suite), but overall it was fun. Didn't like MJ, though. And why wasn't Aunt May scared of SPidey? How did they leave that out??? But the guy that played J.Johnasen was great. Not as gruff as I'd have expected, but really fun to watch.

SPOILER RE:

I also thought that Ben's killer's confrontation was a lot better in Lee's version. Esp. since in the film it was immediate cause and effect, whereas in the comic it was a delayed event, and I think was just a result of Spidey's lazy self-complacence, nothing as nobel as letting the guy who'd ripped him off get robbed.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Griff [Mola]

Dafoe was da bomb

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Well, this baby opened here in Oz last week and I got my arse down to my local multiplex to check it out. Nyeah... it ain't a classic but I found it to be quite a funny flick, intentionally or otherwise (I found myself laughing at quite a few moments that the audience didn't respond to). It adheres to the formular pretty well (quick anecdote: overheard some bitch in a video store complaining that the movie was 'too comic-bookish' - duh) but probably tries to jam too much into one movie. And that ending, with Spidey's dilemma - I thought it was just a set-up for the REAL showdown but alas, twas not meant to be.

Those effects? I ain't complaining. Certainly better than we've any right to see when you think of what they actually did accomplish - fuck knows what Roger Ebert was yammering on about... my only complaint being that the effects kinda stopped and the live-action took over, or vice versa, without the two ever actively implementing or complimenting the other - but that's got more to do with the design, not the execution.

Besides a few teasing moments of Raimi-esque flavour, the whole thing was pretty standard. Remo's right, DARKMAN is definitely the better picture, and most certainly my favourite superhero movie (well, next to THE TOXIC AVENGER, anyway). While Dafoe was good fun, his evil bad guy routine could never compete with Neeson's crazy good guy schtick. Take the fucking elephant.

Well now, I won't feel bad about checking out my bootleg disc, and answering for myself the question of if that really was THE BURNING's Larry Joshua playing the cheapskate wrestling promoter. If not, expect another edit in this post shortly...

(Addendum: no credits on the disc but if that ain't L.J., I'll eat my pants.)

P.S. Macy Gray? Way to gratuitously date a movie, Raimi.