Godzilla vs. Megagarius

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Godzilla vs. Megagarius

Post by I am 138 »

What's with the new(er) Godzilla movies oblitereating all continuity between the series? Is each movie a direct sequel to the orignal Godzilla now, or something? That's the way it seems...

Anyway, am I the only one that HATED this installment? I thought Godzilla looked lame, the special FX sucked, Godzilla's been anthropomorphised to heavily again, and the fucking nanobot chefs in the microwave bowl were so stupid. I've not actively disliked a Godzilla movie since G1984 (and I'd probably like the uncut Japanese version), but Megagarius was crap. And it seemed to just be a mish mash of other kaiju elements. Like, Megagarius swarms seemed like a rip off of Legion from Gamera, and Megagarius big seemed like Battra.

But then, I really disapproved of the revamping of Ghidorah in GMK: Battle on Fire. I'm sure Toho are very concerned, too. At least we still have the newer Gamera series...those are the best.

Speaking of which, anyone seen the fan sequel G4? Worth tracking down?
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

That was something I've been wondering as well, about the sequel status and the continuity because the last three movies at least seemed to ignore all the other G confrontations and assume that decades have passed since Godzilla started raising hell again. G vs. MechaG is also like this. I guess they think that it's unrealistic to think that Godzilla comes back every year, annihilates some city in Japan and that they build it back to normal in no time.

Also, I thought Megaguirus was a decent movie. Nothing great, but still entertaining.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

MOst of my problem with Megagarius was the FX work. I thought the minatures, Godzilla, etc. were awful.

I've since learned that there were three movies made that don't fit in the timeline Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs. Megagarius, and GMK: Battle on Fire. I thought G2000 was actually baby Godzilla from Godzilla vs. Destroyah all grown up, but haven't seen it since 2000. Anyway, I guess Toho made three different films to try and figure out which direction to take the series. However, I don't understand why Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla also restarts the series. I mean, they fucking mention War of the GArgantuans, and don't want to play off any of the other G films?

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I didn't think Megaguirus was all that bad but then again I'm a sucker for Kaiju in pretty much any form. The continuity thing kind of bothers me as well but I can live with it.

As far as Gamera 4 goes, I didn't even know it existed!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

G4 is not an offical sequel, it's fan made. Daei are fine with as long as the guy makes no money from it, so it might be awhile before a copy makes it...well, anywhere, because the moment one goes for sale, he'll lose the ability to screen it.

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I just got Godzilla Vs. Mecha and am looking foward to seeing it. My niece is passed out on the couch atm... her and I watched this afternoon Destroy All Monsters and her favorite... Godzilla's Revenge.

I don't know what date for sure but sometime in June the Egyptian Theatre is having a tribute to Godzilla (incase anyone in the LA area is interested). I can't wait to see what they are going to be showing :D
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »