I'm Not Scared

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

I'm Not Scared

Post by Remo D »

Well, here we go again with one of those "not really a horror movie" titles. But I'm going to put it here anyway because this is one of those thriller/drama/loss-of-innocence movies that can be greatly informed by a background in the genre--while giving back generously in return.

Let me give you a few titles to go on here--films that involve child characters at the center but which DON'T cloy at you with a lot of phony, goopy sentiment.

THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE. Ann Carter's performance can still move me to near-tears here as she turns to an imaginary friend to ease her loneliness... yes, it's a sequel to CAT PEOPLE but it's so much more.

THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE. Ever seen this little Spanish masterpiece? In which a print of FRANKENSTEIN exerts a huge effect on two young girls during the Spanish Civil War?

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. Similar setting--but here it takes a ghost to give a young boy some harsh lessons in just what cruel depths regular human beings are capable of sinking to.

Well, now from Italy comes I'M NOT SCARED--which is every bit the equal of these excellent films--even at the expense of genuine supernatural content. In the late 1970s, a ten-year-old boy makes a startling discovery shortly after playing in and around an abandoned structure with his friends. First, he thinks it's a dead body. Then he takes it for a monster. And then he realizes that it's a boy his own age--but this boy believes himself to be dead. And it's probably just as well, because the reality of the situation is even worse.

I don't want to say much more at all. But this one is guaranteed to pull you in. And it builds to a finale that I couldn't possibly hint at--suffice it to say that the emotional payoff is staggering. If this movie doesn't get to YOU by the time it's over, well, you just might be made of marble and ice water.

Subtitled, art-house only... I don't know how many of you will get a good opportunity--but see it, see it, SEE IT!
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Gorified

Post by Gorified »

I just watched the first 8 minutes on ifilms. Looks like a great movie. I definitely plan on seeing it.

One thing though, when the kid first finds the trap door, the 2 close-ups he has, he is wearing a completely different shirt than in all the other shots. hehe...good editing. :)
4 out of 5 losers agree, you're cool!
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

My boyfriend and I went to see this the other day and we both really liked it.

Thought it was beautiful to look at... a little slow in pacing but a great movie all the same.

As far as the ending goes... well, there was a collective gasp from the entire audience.

Really glad I got around to seeing it :)
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

hmm. I went to see this tonight. First, let me say I did think it was an excellent movie. But you're review had me expecting so much more. I didn't find the end to be either very surprising or emotionally staggering. I saw it it coming from a mile away. I would have liked for the movie to keep the reason for why the boy was in that predicament a mystery a little while longer. It seemed like the situation was explained before it even got suspenseful. Overall, it was good, but sure as shit not worth the 90 minute drive I took to go see it!

Lastly, if you like to see pre-teen kids walking around in their underwear, then this is the movie for you!
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Well, I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as I did--but my reaction was as honest as they come.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

As far as "seeing it coming a mile away?" If you're referring to the moment of the gun going off--yes, storywise you could see it--but the approach was everything, and most audiences seem to gasp out loud at that moment.

But the emotional impact I was referring to continued beyond that point--it was the entire staging of the finale, and how everything built up at that point paid off--monsters, angels, salvation from above... perhaps it's because I have children of my own--but then again, I saw SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE when I was a swinging single, and CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE can still bring a tear to my eye.

This has been a rather dry year for horror so far, I'm afraid. We're looking at the very real possibility of top honors going to a remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD (yes, I DID like the film)! All for the better when a quiet little foreign film sneaks up on me like this and delivers the emotional goods that seem to be lacking elsewhere. Consensus is impossible--but my recommendation stands.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Believe me, I second the recommendation. It's a very good movie. Very good. But I was almost expecting a masterpiece of sorts. Perhaps the fact the the character of Pino (the dad) sort of made me think of David Foley doing an impersonation of a stereotypical Italian lessened the impact for me. :D

BTW, you exhibit great taste by stating you're appreciation for "Curse of the Cat People", which is one I've always loved myself.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]