Zatoichi

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Kimberly

Zatoichi

Post by Kimberly »

I've never seen any of the original so I can't compare...

Does anyone know if there is an uncut version or if 116min. is the actual running time... because I have some problems with the end.

SPOILER

When the masseur wipes out Ogi's men... the two left run off saying that they are going to get the bodyguard and that he's at his house... THEN CUT... Bodyguard lighting a fire on the beach... the masseur walks they fight... slash slash... fights over if you blink you may miss it... THEN CUT... to the bodyguards wife killing herself... THEN CUT... Ogi's dead on the bankside?!?!

Did I miss something?!

Things I did like about it... the acting, some of the characters especially the neighbor's crazy kid. I loved how the sounds in the movie were "heightened" and I loved the occassional Stomp like music. I loved, how with most of Beat's movies, it can go from being so sad to silly. I really liked the ending... was like watching the end of a play.

Some of the CG was bad... really bad. I remember reading an article a few months back... can't remember if it was in Bizarre or Impact... anyhoo.... he mentioned the reason as to why it was all done with CG. Wish I could remember why it was.

Otherwise... I really liked it. :)
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I thought some of the CG was weak too. But wasn't sure if it was 'cause I had to sit so close.

*************spoiler possibly below************

I haven't heard of a cut print, but the one at the Seattle fest didn't feature a long fight with the bodyguard either, and Seattle normally shows the most complete version. A LOT of Japanese samurai/swordplay movies feature more realistic fights, that are over in a matter of seconds.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

It wasn't the quick fight/fights that I had a problem with it was just like... I don't know... I feel like with the edits like that... like I was missing something.

SPOILER SPACE

ie... did the wife plead with the bodyguard not to go hence her killing herself... and how did Ogi end up dead in the brush, etc...
masterblaster-rob
Forum Newbie

Post by masterblaster-rob »

I want to see that movie so bad.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. It sounds like you saw the same print I did, and I believe the one I saw was uncut. Perhaps Robert can compare it to the one that screened up North?
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Watched this last Friday and thought it was pretty good. I too had never seen any of the originals, but to be honest, I have a hard time accepting a blind man as a master swordsman so I think I'd never be able to enjoy these films as much as the fans of them do. I thought it was weird in that it had several things that were good (music, ending, etc) but that just seemed out of place, like they would have worked better in a different movie. Otherwise it was really good.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

It's out now on DVD along with Sonatine!! w00t!!!
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I saw the trailer a while back and the only thing I can say about it is NINJAS!!!!

It's playing in town right now. Probably going to have to settle on dvd.

edit: Kim, not to derail the thread, but I watched Taxi again and this time around I loved it. I'm dying to see the sequels. Heard the second is good but the third is pretty mediocre (though other opinions say it's also very good).
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

First Taxi is great... second is just as fun... third is a steaming pile I thought.

If you want to trade let me know...

Oh and the ninjas in Zatoichi are for but a moment...

I'm just stoked that it comes with Sonatine!!