Nuclear Holocost Films of the 70s and 80s

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Phantazm

Nuclear Holocost Films of the 70s and 80s

Post by Phantazm »

There was one film that was really kick ass. I am looking for the title. But I do remember that Scott Glen was the reporter on the aircraft carrier in the movie. The premise was that of a news broadcast. It was so real in content that the film ocassionally placed notices at the bottom of the screen allowing people to know that it is not a real broadcast and is only a fictional movie. totally excellent.

Anyone know of the movie? Perhaps know how to find out the title and where to purchase it?

Very much appreciated.

Phantazm
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I assume the one with Scott Glenn that you were referring to was a TV-Movie, right? If so, I think the title for that one is COUNTDOWN TO LOOKING GLASS. Am I right? Here is the link to the page on IMDB in case you need to refresh your memory Image :
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087090
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

Yes sir you are correct. It has been a long time since I saw this movie. Thank you for your reply, I have been looking for the title for some time and here I land and boom.

Very cool.

Phantazm
Scott

Post by Scott »

The two films that come to mind when I think of nuclear holocaust are The Day After and Threads. The Day After shows us the affects of a nuclear attack on the average American. I remember the first time I saw it and it really freaked me out. Also includes some great performances from the late Jason Robards, John Lithgow, and John Cullum. Quite graphic for a made-for-TV movie too. I remember hearing how controversial it was getting on nightly TV. Threads, produced by the BBC, is another good one and has an even more grim outlook than Day After. Both films also do well in building up the tension to the time of the nuclear strikes.

One line from The Day After particularly stood out when one of the radarman aboard a SAC aircraft says,

"We've got a massive attack against the United States, ICBMs. Over 300 missiles inbound."

Man, I was like shit that's more than enough to wipe out the entire continent.
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

I own those two I had purchased from blockbuster video few years back. Threads was a groovy flik.

But it seems that the one i am looking for does not exist for sale.

That sucks.

Perhaps there is still a place to find it. It was the better of the two.

------------------
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

If anyone is interested I just came across, excuse the pun... I found a url that streams the erotic version of the Blair Witch Project in real player.

rtsp://216.206.179.133:554/flix/erticzz4_b.rm

copy and paste in browser or in browser in real player.